Initial Impressions on the E-mu 1212m
Oct 21, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #16 of 18
Radar, you could be on to something with the "warm" theory. As you probably know, many CDs, particularly from the 80's, were overengineered to wow people. The highs were often overly emphasized.

I will have to check, but I think it is often very brassy older CDs that seem to benefit from compression. The worst of these are the ones where the engineer is actually using an older recording and trying to push information on the edges of the frequency when the source data is low quality to begin with.

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #17 of 18
Wow, that generated a lot of responses. Well, the point I was trying to make was that the output from E-mu is THAT much better than the output from my Yamaha Pianocraft system.

Perhaps it was because the line out from my old system was really bad, or that the MP3 compression helped with the bad recording of Jazz at the Pawnshop CD or maybe it's because the E-mu is an excellent source. In fact, it could be a combination of all three reasons.

Anyway, it was just an observation from a fellow head-fier.

Oct 21, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by artit
Wow, that generated a lot of responses. Well, the point I was trying to make was that the output from E-mu is THAT much better than the output from my Yamaha Pianocraft system.

That is what excatly I am trying to say.

Your mini system having crap output, thus even playback CD (uncompress) does not give you any advantage over E-MU though MP3 files (compress) are played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back