Initial Impressions on the E-mu 1212m
Oct 20, 2004 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

artit

New Head-Fier
I just had the change to install a fully modded E-mu 1212m on my computer last night, so I only had time to listen to a few CDs. I believe that the card is already burned in because I bought it from a fellow head-fi, so I don't think I will hear any improvements in sound.

Because I already have an Audigy 2 ZS on my computer and want to keep it for games, installing the E-mu was slightly challenging. Luckily, I did a quick search on previous posts, and finished the installation without a hitch (thanks fellow head-fiers).

Well, I did a brief comparison between my Audigy 2 ZS and my Yamaha Pianocraft minisystem a few weeks ago and found that the Audigy 2 ZS was hopeless for playing music for serious listening. It's good for games, but other than that, stay away from it.

The modded E-mu 1212m was a different story. When I inserted my CD into the computer, I expected a slight improvement over my minisystem (didn't have time to use lossless compression yet). I was wrong; the improvement was very dramatic in every aspect. I was amazed at its clarity and detail of the sound. The sounds are now fuller and the soundstage is wider. Recordings that were harsh on my minisystem (my setup is slightly on the bright side - Corda HA-1 MKI into Senn HD580/Cardas) are now smooth and non-fatiguing. I am now a happy man
600smile.gif
... and yes, the source really does matter.

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 18
Glad to hear about your purchase. Luckily, I too enjoy the 1212m thanks to the recent musicians friend deal. Compared to the av-710, the soundstage is noticeably wider even with the soundstage-challenged ms-1, the smooth overall smoother, with a cleaner, less smeared treble, and most of all tighter bass with more bass detail.

Oct 20, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 18
I would like to know your opinion on upsampling. I tried upsampling to 96K and 192K using Foobar, but I am not satisfied with the results. The sound is a bit smoother, but at the sacrifice of some detail. I was expecting a "wow" improvement in sound, but I am not experiencing that.

I am currently using ASIO Output from Foobar, so perhaps another setting would be better?

Oct 20, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 18
No, that's about right. I felt that with my speakers, the soundstaging was a bit more palpable and better defined, but my computer can't handle it any more so I'm back to 44.1.

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 18
Yes I feel the same about upsampling with the emu using foobar's upsampling. There's really no point in it.

Oct 20, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 18
Ok, I know that this post might cause a lot of people to disagree, but anyway, I tried listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop in MP3 128Khz (I know, I know) format through the E-mu 1212. IMHO, it sounds better than listening to the uncompressed CD version on my regular system. There is more detail and the music is much more fun.

I don't have any numerical claims or graphs to support it; just using my two ears, the E-mu 1212 is definitely worth its price (even including the price of the mods).

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by artit
Ok, I know that this post might cause a lot of people to disagree, but anyway, I tried listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop in MP3 128Khz (I know, I know) format through the E-mu 1212. IMHO, it sounds better than listening to the uncompressed CD version on my regular system. There is more detail and the music is much more fun.

I don't have any numerical claims or graphs to support it; just using my two ears, the E-mu 1212 is definitely worth its price (even including the price of the mods).

Your mentally dumb ears will save you a lot of harddrive space (and money)!
icon10.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 18
Wow that is harsh. If you think of MP3 artefacts as an audio effect than the encoding decoding step is just a complex effect.

So many people on this forum buy very expensive tube amps which are just another form of effects processing. You can create the same effect in the digital domain.

Cheers

Thomas

Oct 20, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Your mentally dumb ears will save you a lot of harddrive space (and money)!
icon10.gif

Dang, that's harsh alright. No call for that. Probably his "regular system" is really really bad. We just don't know. True MP3 128kbps sucks, but most of boombox and such sucks even harder.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by artit

The simple reason is your system have worse analog output that degrade the sound quality even though it is CD (uncompress) that playback.

Oct 20, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 18
Obviously, many of you are biased against compression and undoubtly think that a purist approach is always best. I sometimes feel this way.

However, I too have noticed on some songs compression actually sounds better. I have a very revealing hifi setup so differences in sound are easy to spot. I was troubled by my observations and wondered if I was imagining the improvement.

Since that time at least 3-4 professional hifi reviewers have made the same observation (not that I trust a pro reviewer more than my own ears, but it is nice to have what I am hearing confirmed).

No one knows why it is true, but it is a fact that for some songs, on some systems, to some ears, compressed MP3 sounds better. One reviewer felt it might be clearer dynamic transients since small details might be lost in the compression. This might help recordings that are overly compressed, or have a lot of noise.

I suggest we not dismiss what people hear out of hand. Not only does everyone have a right to an opinion, perhaps if you have an open mind their opinion might be right. Perhaps we should go back to believing the earth is flat too?

Oct 20, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #13 of 18
How is saying his bad ears will save him money harsh? There's no moral or emotional component attached to such a statement, other than the one's some of you misappropriated. He's fortunate, if anything.

Oct 21, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

No one knows why it is true, but it is a fact that for some songs, on some systems, to some ears, compressed MP3 sounds better.

You may prefer a more "warm" sound, which is something that MP3 is biased towards.

Oct 21, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #15 of 18
"How is saying his bad ears will save him money harsh? There's no moral or emotional component attached to such a statement, other than the one's some of you misappropriated. He's fortunate, if anything."

First who is to say that what he is hearing is not more accurate than what you are hearing? Personal taste is subjective, and since NO hifi gear can emulate the real deal, personal taste drives a lot of what people like. So, do you mandate what sounds 'right' for the rest of the world? What arrogance!

Second, actually your statement was:

"Your mentally dumb ears will save you a lot of harddrive space (and money)!"

A more offensive way of expressing your shallow thinking could not possibly be found. Let's see, does using a phrase like 'mentally dumb' sound friendly to you?

Third, if I have to explain this to you, you have a lot of growing up to do. Until you do, use just a little restraint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back