Initial impressions of the Grado HP-1
Dec 8, 2001 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Voyager

Do not let me borrow your SportaPros
I just got home about an hour ago from getting my Grado HP-1s from Vka. They are built much better than the new Grados. Much better than most phones actually. They are a bit heavy, but the weight is evenly distributed and I still think they are very comfortable. The cord is also much more flexable than the cord on my RS-2s was. I don't know if this is true for all HP-1s, as mine have the reference cable, not the normal stock cable. Also, the cord is shorter than the cord on my RS-2s by a few feet.

As for the sound, where to start? Everything sounds so good. The sound is very neutral, but everything they do sounds absolutely great. the treble is very smooth, but has just the right amount of detail and forwardness. The midrange is very realistic and natural, but not at all over emphasiozed. The bass goes way lower than the bass on my RS-2s did, and the bass has more detail. Everything about these phones is better than my RS-2s were. The soundstage is wider and seperation is vastly improved. I can hear so many things in these phones that simply aren't there in others. If ever anyone gets a cance to own these phones, i whole heartedly recommend that you take it. These are definatively the best phones I have ever heard. Excuse me while I go listen some more.
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2001 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 27
Congratulations on your HP-1s, Voyager. They are indeed great headphones. It's amazing how nothing jumps out at you, yet everything is all there..........in just the right proportions. Enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2001 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 27
Congratulations Voyager.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't wait to get my new phones.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Wow, it's a strong statement to say that they are better than the RS-2's in every aspect.

Dec 8, 2001 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by PC Corp
Congratulations Voyager.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, it's a strong statement to say that they are better than the RS-2's in every aspect.

Ditto for congratulations on your HP-1s, Voyager.

PC Corp, I have no doubt whatsoever that the HP's are far better than the RS-2's.

Dec 8, 2001 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 27
I love reading these posts about particular headphones that I have. It reminds me to listen to them. I've been doing 99% of my listening through the Etys since I got them over 2 weeks ago. I just switched to the HP-1s.......major WOW factor. There's more bass, the details are still there, and the soundstage is much bigger. They sound like big Etys!
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 27
Joelongwood, I'm using the bowl pads. There is SOOOO much detail and they never sound like there is too much treble. I am hearing things other phones only hinted at, and other things that I never even heard before. They sound so clean, free from any veiling or coloration, yet they are so musical. It's like, peering right into the heart of the recording and seeing, no, FEELING the emotions of the performer. I think these are the PERFECT phone for me. These by far, exceed my expectations.

R3cc0s, although I've not heard either the AKG K-1000 or Stax Omega II, from reading reviews, it is my understanding that the HP-1s will produce better bass then the other two. The AKG's are known for their lack of lower bass response. In addition, the Stax phones are electrostats and their bass may be "faster", I do not believe that they could convey the weight of the bass, especially in the lower octaves. This is not to say that the HP-1s are boomy in any way, they are far from that. The Stax phones would surely have more detail, and probably sound more crisp, but that may be good only for superb recordings and certain genres of music like classical. Although I do very much enjoy classical, I could not limit myself to that genre. This is where the HP-1s come in. They sound good with everything. I do very much enjoy good recorings, but I also enjoy many recordings that are not recorded well, and from that aspect, the Omega IIs might very well deliver too much detail. You'd hear all of the noise and other distortions that might not be noticable when listening to dynamic phones. This is all speculation though, so I may very well be altogther wrong, and my lack of experience with other world class phones limits what I can compare these too. They surpass every phone I've listened to, and the only ones that I have left to compare them to are the HD600s with a super high-end amp, Etymotics ER-4s, AKG-K1000, Sony R-10, most Stax phones, and the Sennheiser Orpheus.

These may just be, "Truely the World's finest"

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 27
Congratulations Voyager! I am glad you like them. Probably one of the rare few who have HP-1s with reference cord upgrade, hehehe. Anyhow, these are truely one of the most versatile headphones in my opinion which does well with pretty much all music genre I throw at it. The only genre I feel that I may wanna improve on is classical symphony/orchestra music so I may try out some electrostatics. However, in terms of quartets and solos, I am more than satisfied with them.

Dec 9, 2001 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 27
Hey Reaction, welcome to the club. Ok, using both bowl pads for RS-1 and HP-1. And this is the HP-1 w/ reference cord not the regular cord one. To me, the HP-1 has has a much airier 3D soundstage and less forward than RS-1. RS-1 has a darker presentation and sweeter but lower treble extention than HP-1. HP-1 just screams for details with great balance and neutrality with a touch of warmth and full of body. Whereas, I find RS-1 a little coulored in terms of overall presentation. They both protray instruments very well, amking them sound very natural. Lastly, RS-1 has more bass than HP-1 but for some reason I find them very loose compare to the HP-1 which are very tight like the MSP.

In terms of Synergy with Amps, RS-1 and Holmes Powell go very well together, if not the best. They were made for each other. The HP-1 sounds good too, but if you prefer neutrality, I go with a Melos or Ear. The problem I have is the bass which I find too loose. I did however try Yohan's RS-1 which was modified by Holmes Powell to make the bass tighter and I liked that very much.

Dec 9, 2001 at 8:13 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

To me, the HP-1 has has a much airier 3D soundstage and less forward than RS-1. RS-1 has a darker presentation and sweeter but lower treble extention than HP-1. HP-1 just screams for details with great balance and neutrality with a touch of warmth and full of body. Whereas, I find RS-1 a little coulored in terms of overall presentation. They both protray instruments very well, amking them sound very natural. Lastly, RS-1 has more bass than HP-1 but for some reason I find them very loose compare to the HP-1 which are very tight like the MSP.

I love it when someone hears the same way I do..........To my ears, Vka, you hit the nail on the head with that summary.......and I have the original cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back