initial impressions of MT90
Aug 10, 2001 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

chriscu1

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my Sharp MT90 yesterday and have been playing around with it. This is my jump into the MD arena. I was curious to see how it compares to MP3, especially using good cans (I have the SR325's). I recorded a few tracks digitally from my AMC CD8b to the optical input (nice that Sharp hooks you up with the digital cable). They sound pretty damn good. I haven't done any analog recording. Using a pair of Koss KSC35's I can't tell any difference from the original CD on a Sony discman and the MD. However, if I compare using the SR325's, I can hear a slight (and I mean SLIGHT) difference. However, this could be the difference in sound that the players put out (Sony and Sharp have been talked about here having a different sound), so it's not a valid test. Of course if I listen that same CD through my CD8b and then from the RA-1 amp, then it sounds better, but that's a little unfair to the Sharp. Now, and please don't flame me too hard, as far as the MD/MP3 war goes, I'm afraid I'm going to have to side with the MD army. MD just seems to have a bit fuller sound compared to MP3's ripped at 256k, especially with good cans. It's not a huge difference, though. I'm not kicking myself for listening to MP3 all this time, but I will be making MD my portable solution from now on for things like working out, walking on the beach, etc.

All in all a very nice entry-level unit. Sure, it doesn't have MDLP, a flashy remote (don't use remote anyway) or tremendous battery life (probably because of the 10mW amp), but at $120 I certainly don't feel cheated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back