Initial Impressions:Marantz CD5001 vs Onkyo DX-7555
Jul 9, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #16 of 23
Ya, it is just another I WANT that I am going to have to add to the list. I know someone that has a harmon kardon receiver. I am going to have to try it out with my grados and see how it sounds. It probably isn't the one you have but it is worth a check.

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #17 of 23
Hey daltonlanney, I really appreciate your reviews.Two years ago I got a H/K AVR335 audio/video receiver at a great price and I use it only with headphones. I always wondered how it compared to a headamp since most members on the headphone forum use headamps. If the H/K3480 is almost as good as the GS-1 I am thrilled because of the $300.00 price difference.

Depending on the price of modifying your H/K, you might consider upgrading your receiver to an H/K that has optical and coaxial inputs. Daltonlanny and Headphonjunkie, you can find front and back displays of H/K receivers on the H/K website and get 30-40% off the list price on the internet. My SA5000's became much more open and transparent, better highs and much more detailed compared to analog monster cables. With analog cables the SA5000's sounded like $100 headphones. I never did try analog with my DT880's or DT990's, the digital is so good I never wanted to mess with analog anymore. Even though Monster isn't that great I don't think any analog cable could compare with digital sound quality. If an HK3480 is that close to a GS-1 I can only assume that with digital cables an H/K receiver is far better. I'm looking forward to your further discoveries Daltonlanny, and to your review of the SA8001. I hope it isn't much better than the CD5001 because I can't afford the extra money right now.

Jul 10, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #18 of 23
I just sold my Onkyo DX-7555...that should tell you how much I like the sound of this little Marantz CD5001!
This Marantz player continues to impress me for its detail and naturalness at such a low price. It is a bargain!
No wonder it is a best seller at Audio Advisor, Music Direct, One Call, etc.
I will tell you what, my Sennheiser HD650 w/Equinox sounds simply AWESOME playing through the HEADPHONE JACK on the 5001!
Cannot wait till I get the Marantz SA8001 and do a head-to-head comparison!
I cannot imagine the CD playback being that much better on the 8001 than the 5001. If it is, I will be shocked...and happy...lol. I will also compare the headphone jacks on the units as well.
I will probably be getting the SA8001 by the middle of next week.
About the HK 3480:
I actually paid almost $500.00 more for the HeadAmp GS-1 than I did for the Harman Kardon HK3480! I actually paid about $260.00 shipped for the HK.
Is the GS-1 worth almost 3 times the cost of the HK3480? NO WAY!
Don't get me wrong, the GS-1 is an awesome amp...very neutral, detailed, and transparent. But, with alittle modding, this HK's headphone output could be also be world class. I know...go ahead and laugh...but I like what I hear from this unit!

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cannot wait till I get the Marantz SA8001 and do a head-to-head comparison!
I cannot imagine the CD playback being that much better on the 8001 than the 5001. If it is, I will be shocked...and happy...lol. I will also compare the headphone jacks on the units as well.
I will probably be getting the SA8001 by the middle of next week.

I have been thinking about the 8001 as well, including maybe using the headphone jack as well -- look forward to what you find out about the 8001!

Jul 12, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #20 of 23
Looking very forward to the comparison myself!
Can't wait...

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #21 of 23
I'm very pleased with my new Marantz CD-5001 with Senn HD-595 cans driven by a Cute Beyond amp. All have less than 10 hrs on them. Great low-fi sound!!
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 23
I have a CD5001 and I did like it a lot... but I auditioned and bought it using A900
's. Soon after getting it, I bought a HeadFive and an MS2i as well. I have been using the MS2i nearly 100% of the time since.

The MS2i out of the jack of the Marantz is a nono for me. Sibilant, underpowered (thin sounding) and not engaging at all (lack of bass, lack of non-hurting punch)

Using the HeadFive (a notoriously warm SS amp) did help thing a lot, but some small problems remained for me. Highs (cymbals) were still a bit sibilant on less than perfectly mastered albums and the overall sound was quite analytical but still a bit thin.

I now have replaced the Marantz with a NAD C542 (costing twice as much; both bought brand new) and now the sound is so much richer/fuller while not losing detail. The soundstage has widened also and sibilance is 98% gone... For my taste is is almost too warm on some albums (stuff like Sunn O))) is very bass-heavy even with my MS2i+bowls)

So my guess (also strengthened by what I have read in this thread) is that the Marantz CD5001 is actually a very good cd-player and very decent starting model for all ppl using warmer sounding headphones (Senns in particulate)

I will be comparing some more, but I guess I already know which one I'm going to let go

Oct 18, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #23 of 23
Excellent post! I too, am a HUGE fan of the CD5001, price notwithstanding. Suffice it to say, the 5001 truly sounds like a CDP that costs several times it's money, and the build quality is impressive (metal drawer, fascia, etc.) for a 250 to 300 dollar unit! The Cirrus-Logic DAC raises my eyebrows when playing back some of my old redbook CD's, given it's natural sound and high resolution!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back