Initial impressions - DF Cobalt vs Apple dongle, feeding Grado Hemp
Aug 31, 2020 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

chriscu1

100+ Head-Fier
As perfectly fine as the Apple lightning dongle is for feeding the Hemp, out of curiosity I decided to get the Cobalt to try out. I wanted something that I could easily throw in my headphone case and take to work with me. I have 60 days to return, so it will likely take close to that to make the decision to keep (we are talking $300 vs $10 here). Anyway, these are my findings after a few days. I mainly listen to classic rock (the Hemp rules here as you would expect from any Grado). I have no intention of using it via PC or any other means, so this is solely impressions using iPhone (mostly streaming Amazon HD).

1. The most noticeable difference for me is the bass is less boomy. It was one of those things that I didn't really realize was happening with the dongle. The Cobalt bass is definitely tighter. It's a decent offset since I'm using the Hemp flat pads which kind of boost the bass anyway. To be fair, this might be a detriment if wearing the L pads. Anyway, this was by far the immediate thing I noticed when comparing (and is hard to trick your brain into thinking).
2. My Apple dongle is just ever so slightly noisy. Not sure if it's interference or what. Of course mine might be different from another Apple dongle. Anyway, with the Cobalt it's dead quiet. I don't know if it's whatever is inside to reduce noise in it or what.
3. Could be related to #1 and #2, but the clarity is just a little better (and I mean a little), especially on things like bass guitars and drums. I admit this could all be in my head...I can't really do a blind test here. Mids and treble sound very similar, but it does appear to lift whatever small veil is there with the dongle.
4. Instrument separation seems better...maybe? Again this could all be in my head. I do not claim to be an expert here.
5. I was a little surprised the volume was not noticeably louder with the Cobalt. This does not matter of course since Grados can get loud with little effort. But it did seem that at about 60% volume on the phone, the final volume level to my ears was very similar. This isn't a pro or con, just noting. Maybe it's louder at 100% but I'm not doing that for fear of hearing loss. I do have a 58X that I may try this out with out of curiosity since it's a little more demanding, but that's not really the use case for me here.
5. One little perk that I had not really thought about was the ability to control volume with my watch. The steps are a little too big (using the dedicated control center "zoomed in" volume is really the best option for the smallest up/down), but I'm so used to using the watch for volume with Bluetooth headphones, it was nice to still be able to keep that functionality.
6. People talk about the rattle/looseness of the Cobalt. Mine does not move at all. That could change with more use. I've read reports of similar experiences. It seems like everyone's gets loose after some point in time. Initially though, does not move around at all at either end.

Obviously the Cobalt loses the value battle here, and I may very well send it back. #1 above though is a nice little difference for me, and you know how the curse is...once you hear it a little better, you argue with yourself even considering going back. Anyway, I just wanted to write this up while it was fresh in my head in case anyone is considering pairing with a Grado.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 3
After spending another solid day with the Cobalt, I think I'm now strongly leaning towards returning it. I now understand what the reviews meant by more clinical and analytical in nature. I can hear slightly more detail and can pick out a few more things, but I the more I listened, I felt like I've lost too much "fun" with the Hemp. I will miss the reduced noise and the tightened bass (the dongle can get really f'ing boomy at times now that I've noticed), but I guess I will just stick with the dongle for now on the go. Just not worth the $300. There might be another super-portable out there that matches better. Maybe I'll just get a semi-portable to plug in at work and also works with the Apple CCK.

I will note that I spent an hour or so with the 58X with the Cobalt, and it was a fairly dramatic improvement over the dongle and made the sound come more way more alive and full (although I had to push the volume up a fair amount). I'll never use this pairing in my everyday life (and I'll never use the dongle with it), so it's kind of moot. I guess this is just a case of synergy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back