Initial Impressions ATH-500 Vs Sense 280 Pro
Jul 10, 2007 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Kasp3r

500+ Head-Fier
Myself: I am 17, turning 18 soon on the 21st. Im new to the headphile world , but so far Im enjoying it. Somethings I should let you guys know, I am deaf on my left ear since i was born. I don't have this soundstage effect you might all know and love.

So far the a500's have been plugged in my ON board soundcard (my chaintech 710 Should be coming soon) Here is the problem with that, anything I do open files, turn the volume up, have my headphones on, there is always a hiss. The higher the volume the louder the hiss. Its my soundcard for sure, as both the 280 pros and these have it.

- Sennheiser 280 Pros -
The best thing about these headphones, they isolate very well. They block all to almost any sound around me. They however have a strong clamp force around your ears, and this sometimes can be come straining. Ive had the 280's for a little past a year, thanks to Mark.

Now the sound!

The 280's have better mids, but lack in the bass and vocal department. I find the ath500 to have a much deeper bass, and vocals are so much better. I find however that in music like rock for example, when a drummer is hitting the symbol its just not there*

- ATH-500 -
So comfortable, would be the first word to describe these.They are very light, and find around my eyes really nice. The cord is a perfect size, and I like this design more then the 280 pros, which was coiled. Now the 280's feel like they can take a serious beating, I would be scared of dropping the a500's.

Sound

Good bass, vocals are great. I mean these sound good, and feel great. Im not a "expert" in anything and I can't really describe what im hearing, with this horrible sound card right now.

Conclusion
The ATH-500 win over the 280 pros do to the lack of bass, vocals and comfort of the a500s. How ever the 280s do win slightly in the mids and much more in the isolation department.

Soon enough I will recieve my chaintech 710 and Sennheiser 580's and I will do a update of all 3 again and see which I like. Thanks for reading

Take it easy on a newbie
rolleyes.gif

*edit I dont know why I put sense 280 for the title, sorry im stupid haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back