Initial impressions: AKG K26P
Sep 23, 2006 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jeff Guidry

Headphoneus Supremus
These headphones are about as close to an impulse purchase as I have ever made in audio, in that it took me less than a week from getting the idea that I wanted a small, closed, inexpensive headphone for walking around in my neighborhood to actually buying the headphones. I got them from my local Guitar Center for 39.99 plus tax.

After listening for a few days, I thought I could give some impressions. I listened on my Sony portable radio to AM and FM broadcasts, and on my cheap Sony PCDP (yes, some of us don't have iPod's). These are designed as DJ headphones, so reports of strong bass are entirely accurate. Though I would not say that the K26P's lack treble, I would say that it is rolled off, and because of the present midrange and strong bass, the treble that is there can seem overwhelmed. Burn in and getting used to the sound signature are taking care of some of the lack of treble, and wearing these a bit further back on your ears than you might normally will also add some treble presence.

The sound stage is non-existent, and is in fact the narrowest of any headphone I have ever heard. What soundstage there is is not coherent, so if you like classical, jazz, vocal, or anything where natural acoustics are important, avoid these at all costs.

Now to the plus side. The bass on these headphones is mega-impactful, strong but not boomy, and amazing for a headphone this size. I listen regularly to hard rock/heavy metal, and I have never heard a headphone that so effectively captures the impact of the bass/kick drum combo. Listening to Metallica's Garage, Inc. was a great experience, because I could really feel that driving, forceful THUD of the kick drum and really perceive the percussive CRACK of the snare. If you like to pay attention to the bass line in songs, or are a bassist yourself, I would say these headphones would be a dream come true.

Despite its relative lack of treble, I could perceive more detail in the music than I previously could with my KSC-75's, my portable of choice before I got the AKG's. I understand this is partially because of its closed design, allowing me to disregard more outside interference, but I also believe it is because of inherent qualities of the headphones themselves. Isolation is as the Headroom site has reported, very good for this class of headphone, and if I was a regular transit rider, these would be at the top of my list.

Efficiency is likewise a big plus for the K26P's. I was able to significantly lower the volume on my PCDP compared to the level I needed for my KSC-75's and still have satisfying sound levels.

These are polarizing cans to be sure, but if you like bass driven music and need good isolation for a low price, you will find the K26P's hard to beat.

Sep 23, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 5
I have a pair of these also. They really do sound good with metal/rock/techno type songs but pretty horrible for everything else. The thing that annoys me is that after listening for more than a hour it makes my eardrums ache.(the bass is too powerful lol)

Sep 23, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 5
I wonder if AKG has fixed K26P? Because my K26P (and other people) really sucks for metal. No highs, mediocre mids and boomy bass with elevated midbass that covers everything under mayhem of superfast doublebass.

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 5
I wouldn't say that these have decent bass, it's powerful, but just awful. It's boomy, unbalanced and completely out of control - it isn't by any means suited for any genre of music. To make the bass tolerable you would have to compromize the isolation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back