initial HP170 impressions
Oct 22, 2004 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

S_Dedalus

1000+ Head-Fier
With my DT770's in Washington being recabled, I decided to pick up something to keep me listening till they get back. The HP170's popped up on the forums as having pretty good sound for ~$20, so I went down to Target and picked up a pair.
They're pretty cheaply made, and the stock cable is just waiting to get ripped off, but they are reasonably comfortable. When I plugged them in, I immediately noticed a complete lack of soundstage, and everything seemed recessed. Since my SR-80's fried a while back, I decided to swap out the cables, and get rid of the silly volume control, and stereo to mono switch. Instrument separation dramatically improved, and the bass really came forward(it's still pretty bloated), although the highs are still recessed, and the mids are pretty honky. The drivers also seem to be very slow, everything is very smoothed over. Despite the glaring faults, they are fun cans just as or more so than the ksc-50's I had, which were more detailed, but the bass was really really bloated, which really distracted from the rest of the music.
Once I get my DT770s back, I'll either donate these to a headfier looking for a first pair of decent headphones, or give them to my brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back