initial ep-630 observations
Dec 12, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Anyway, can't wait till the hd-201

Did you get that already and have a chance to compare? I'd be curious because I already have the hd201 and like it but am still waiting for the ep630's.

@Sinocelt: I think it will take a bit longer to get here. I'm in Holland and read some comments from other buyers that it took quite long to ship here.

Dec 15, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic
Did you get that already and have a chance to compare? I'd be curious because I already have the hd201 and like it but am still waiting for the ep630's. ...

This is just what i've noticed so far. I've only had the time last night to really go back and forth between ksc-35, ep-630, and hd-201. Between the hd-201 and ep-630, originally i thought i prefer the 630s over it, but after setting up the amp properly i like them both.

Both ep-630 and ksc-35 are similar in nature, aggressive and fairly low imp. So i used the supermini's impedence option. I guess it somewhat smoothed out the sound of both phones. While to really bring the sound out of the hd-201 i left the impedence option off but turned the amp gain option on. For all phones i didn't bother touching the bass boost, but i do have the crossfeed option on all the time. For now i'm comparing static and vbr mp3s from the pc (atleast 192kbps), foobar with flat eq, kernel streaming, philips psc-604 (cmi-8738 or 8378?). Sounds clean enough to me.

The hd-201 excelled in songs that are more laid back. I was listening heavily to The Cardigans last night, and on the slower acoustic tracks like 'Junk of the Hearts' the hd-201 wins out in detail and overall refinement. Bass extension goes deep, but the juicy part of the mid-bass is lacking compared to the ep-630. The drums sound a bit dry. The treble seems ok.

That's one of the areas the ep-630 lacked, the treble on some tracks is pathetic. 'No Way Back' by Foo Fighters, other 2 did fine treble wise, but the 630s just sucked here. It does have a redeeming quality, bass. Drums and bass tend to overpower the vocals on 'Cochise' by audioslave. Overall presentation on audioslave's 'Drown me slowly' is quite good, with over powering bass guitar, but it rocked! Bass is great for hip-hop tracks like 'Third Eye' by Black Eyed Peas, and also good on fast rock songs. It gives rock songs that powerful bass guitar feel. I agree with other reviewers when they say these are fun sounding phones. Somehow these are great to listen to the Cardigans with. Out of the three i thought it had the best presentation on the Cardigans' 'Do you believe'. And only lost slightly on 'Junk of the Hearts' to the hd-201, mostly because the 201s are perfect for mellow acoustic songs.

The 35s didn't fare so well on both tracks, too much airy ambiance for these mellow and intimate songs. Not enough seperation or definition in 'Do you believe'. But that's ok, as we all know the 35s rocks like no other when it comes to audioslave, dream theater, foo fighters, and even daft punk and hip-hop tracks. aside from specific cardigans songs my head was bobbin' and swayin'. It's a party animal, it tried to rock-out mellow songs.

Detail between the 630 and 201, i can sometimes hear things on one and not the other. Still haven't pinpointed what it is exactly. But both phones, being more isolating than the kosses have a more intimate presentation to music, made it easier to pick out details.

I did put on my ksc-50, i thought it had a nice balanced sound, but right away i missed the fun thudding bass of both the 35s and 630. I will try and compare it more with the 201 when i have time.

Oh, and on A-Ha's 'Forever not yours' (just one of my unsorted mp3s), the hd-201 did something the other 2 didn't, it brought out some low end 'whoomps' I haven't noticed before. For a long time i thought that song was boring. I guess it's just European, lol, j/k (euro band, euro phones, heh nvm).

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #33 of 46
Thanks for the comments. I'm picking up my ep-630's tomorrow from the post office (wasn't home when they tried to deliver). I'm curious to compare them myself.

I Agree the hd201 sounds nice on acoustic tracks and I like them for jazz as well.

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #34 of 46
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but...

I got the EP630's as a gift a few days ago and I can confirm that they are NOT the same as the MD33S, soundwise or physically.

I hadn't listened to my Sharp's for a couple of months, so when I noticed that the EP630s were louder than my HJE50s, I was a bit surprised but just shrugged it off and thought I remembered wrong. I didn't think much about it til I found this thread, and decided to compare the two.

These two phones have differences in sound that are obiouvs. First of all, the EP630s are more sensitive, I use volume 7-8 with the ep630s and my M5, but I have to turn up volume to at least 10-11 for my MD33S to match that volume.
Also, the sound is quite different. I also thought that the Creative's sounded quite a bit better than I remembered them to, and also had better positioning of sound in games. After comparing them I can say that the EP630s are more detailed over all, they have more highend without being harsh, and have more & more detailed low bass and more detail in mid bass and mids. The sound is more fun and not as laid back as the Sharp's, in fact I now find the Sharp's almost a little dull in comparison, which I never thought of saying before this.
Soundwise, I strongly prefer the EP630s in every way.

Physically, the cord of the EP630s is made of a softer rubber, actually the same that is used in the HJE50s and the extension cord that comes with the Sharp's. The cord of the MD33S is stiffer and therefore is prone to breaking after a while, which happened to me, and it also gets much too stiff when exposed to cold weather. I do prefer the uneven cord length of the Sharps though, and would've wanted these to end in an L jack.

Jan 2, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #36 of 46
I'm guessing the person on eBay you all bought the EP-630s from was called "WHSLE.BIZ STORE"? From the picture I saw in this thread, it seems like the EP-630s came with foam covers, not actual plugs. Can anyone confirm / deny this? How does the EP-630s comapre to the Panasonic RP-HJE50s?

Jan 2, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by abcheng
I'm guessing the person on eBay you all bought the EP-630s from was called "WHSLE.BIZ STORE"? From the picture I saw in this thread, it seems like the EP-630s came with foam covers, not actual plugs. Can anyone confirm / deny this? How does the EP-630s comapre to the Panasonic RP-HJE50s?

That's who I got it from. Mine came with the large rubber sleaves only. No foamies but kind of unpleasant to use. I wonder where I can get a set of different sized ones..

Jan 2, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #38 of 46
abcheng, yes they're just like the foam for ear phones, round and flat, not a plug or canalphone foam. Not sure why they included those foam covers, because it really ruins the seal when you have them over the rubber sleeve.

imapotato, audiocubes sell what they call "replacement earbuds" for the sharp hp-md33s, i would think those are the rubber sleeves? A bit pricey for small rubber pieces though.

Jan 2, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #39 of 46
Rodent, often these canal phones wear out through use. Not EXACTLY sure why, but Im fairly certain its got something to do with earwax and an easilly cloggable mesh on the driver-opening.

Remember all those who said their in-ear phones were going quiet after a few weeks/months?

Your impressions (louder/more highs/more detail) I think have more to do with the newness of the EP630, rather than any internal design differences or changes -- those factors seem to be the exact ones that might be affected by earwax and such.

The change in the Sharp's may not be noticeable due to the subtlety and the time-frame at which they occur -- but its something to look into.

The cord differences are obvious however, and this is an OEM 'phone, so different materials could have been used. The question is, have "different materials" also created a change in the sound?

Dont get me wrong, Im not questioning your hearing at all; but there have been some conflicting posts/impressions in the past, so I am theorising at best.

Jan 2, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #40 of 46
hmm... sounds good.

btw, do the ep630 have a natural/clear or some more bassy/unclear sound ?

Jan 2, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenwallet
abcheng, yes they're just like the foam for ear phones, round and flat, not a plug or canalphone foam. Not sure why they included those foam covers, because it really ruins the seal when you have them over the rubber sleeve.

imapotato, audiocubes sell what they call "replacement earbuds" for the sharp hp-md33s, i would think those are the rubber sleeves? A bit pricey for small rubber pieces though.

Man, that really sucks. The Sharp IEMs cost about $10 more and the cable is longer. Does anyone know where to buy plugs for the EP630s? $10 is a high price to pay for replacement plugs that were listed under the MD33s at audiocubes. I use to have a pair of EX51s but lost them w/ the small plugs which fit my ears better than the other sizes so using the medium or large sizes is out of the question for me.

Jan 2, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by abcheng
Man, that really sucks. The Sharp IEMs cost about $10 more and the cable is longer. Does anyone know where to buy plugs for the EP630s? $10 is a high price to pay for replacement plugs that were listed under the MD33s at audiocubes. I use to have a pair of EX51s but lost them w/ the small plugs which fit my ears better than the other sizes so using the medium or large sizes is out of the question for me.

You can trade a friend or fellow forum member that happens to want the mediums.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumguy_
Rodent, often these canal phones wear out through use. Not EXACTLY sure why, but Im fairly certain its got something to do with earwax and an easilly cloggable mesh on the driver-opening.

Remember all those who said their in-ear phones were going quiet after a few weeks/months?

Your impressions (louder/more highs/more detail) I think have more to do with the newness of the EP630, rather than any internal design differences or changes -- those factors seem to be the exact ones that might be affected by earwax and such.

The change in the Sharp's may not be noticeable due to the subtlety and the time-frame at which they occur -- but its something to look into.

The cord differences are obvious however, and this is an OEM 'phone, so different materials could have been used. The question is, have "different materials" also created a change in the sound?

Dont get me wrong, Im not questioning your hearing at all; but there have been some conflicting posts/impressions in the past, so I am theorising at best.

I agree that the sound of these semi-IEM's might have changed, but if I were to guess if they had or hadn't, I'd say they hadn't. Either way, I don't think a change in sound would be this big, the sound signatures arent that close.

To whoever asked, the EP630s are better than the hje50s, I have them too. Better low end and perhaps also a slightly more detailed sound. The hje50s might also be more harsh sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back