initial emu 1212m impressions
Apr 11, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by genefid
you stated that upsampling implementation in winamp is superior to that of foobar.

Could you provide some details?

I'm not 100% sure since I havn't followed the latest developments but isn't the resampling based off shibatch's code for both winamp and foobar?

The only difference I think is the setting. Winamp as Low, High, and Top. Foobar has slow and fast.

Winamp TOP seems to preserve details more in my observation. I think that's beacuse the window/chunks in which it processes is even smaller (or was it bigger i'm not sure how it works) than the others.

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #32 of 45
Oh, wow. I would definitely put this card in the realm of "best PC Audio card" now.

I played Diablo II a bit, and watched Baffler Meal (episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast.. hilarious)

Both sounded better than i've ever heard them, although gaming would admittedly be a little cooler with EAX support.

Buut.. i liked this better than the "unsurpassed audio fidelity" that the Audigy2 ZS offers, and whilst this card IS twice as expensive.. that other cash is going into its ability to make wonderful music.

Sduibek gives this product Two Thumbs Up, it's most excellent
biggrin.gif

EDIT: To get WDM (normal Windows sound output) working on PatchMix, make a new Session, do the Default 44.1 Session, and you're all set. I have two sessions, one for games/movies/etc and one for music. It's a little bit of a pain, but I think the sound quality justifies this.
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Sduibek
EDIT: To get WDM (normal Windows sound output) working on PatchMix, make a new Session, do the Default 44.1 Session, and you're all set. I have two sessions, one for games/movies/etc and one for music. It's a little bit of a pain, but I think the sound quality justifies this.
biggrin.gif

Movies and games are 48Khz though. Having the clock at 44.1 may resample them to 44.1.

Their sample sessions/presets are a bit complex. I turn off what I don't need because it's probably quieter that way.

Apr 12, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Movies and games are 48Khz though. Having the clock at 44.1 may resample them to 44.1.

Umm.. says who? I've never seen a game have a sample rate that's a multiple of 48. It's always 11, 22, 44, etc.
confused.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #35 of 45
Must've been my AC97 codec reading 48K all the time or something.

I just checked some games, there's even some 32Khz sounds. I guess we're both wrong.

Apr 12, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #36 of 45
I am sold on this card :p

Now, where is the best place to order one in Canada? As soon as I can find a good deal I'm gonna pick one up
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #37 of 45
Sduibek:

Have you heard the RME PAD with OP Amp-less, Analog Stage Bypass? It's quite a rather substantial improvement over the Cap Bypass and OP amp swap.

Will be interesting to hear what the Emu sounds like with and without mods.

Also, did you use an amp when you compared the RME PAD to the EMU?

-Ed

Apr 20, 2004 at 1:35 PM Post #40 of 45
For those who are interested, saw it @ RMAA Forum.
wink.gif

Quote:

The fundamentals of good audio are like Sushi, start with the best stuff and keep it clean, the job is more not to mess things up, and less to try to make it better. You can't for instance make a AD/DA or a piece of fatty tuna: )perform beyond it's capabilities. This may sound easy but as many a audio engineer or sushi chef knows this is a very difficult thing.
Bottom line: The numbers don't lie and the numbers are the only fair measure of audio performance and you will hear the numbers, in clarity, low noise floor, wide separation etc. Warmth and all the other voodoo audio characteristics, are mainly about harmonic distortion. It's all good if you happen to like it, bad if you don't so we try our best to eliminate that from the equation. You can bring your own and control that with the gear and mics you choose record. At the high levels that we are at only a audio analyzer can really tell the story reliably. So if you can't hear it easily does it even matter? On one track probably not that much, but when you multitrack, it's all cumulative, dust can turn into mountains.

Quote:

Also, what are the jitterlevels from the 1212M, koax digital out? Especially 16/44.1 is important
***I answered this somewhere else, so here's a snip. Jitter issues are most easily detected in the THD+N spec @ higher frequencies. Our THD+N vs. Freq numbers even @ 20K (when you interpolate out the effects of the aliasing filter) are -97db on AD or DA and our numbers @ 1K are a extremely solid -110db(0.0003%) and -105db(0.0006%) respectively. I think you will find that these performance figures compare quite favorably against any product, at any price. All of our RMS Jitter vs. Word Clock source numbers are 1ns or less.

Best,
ICHi
E-MU Systems

Apr 20, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #41 of 45
Sduibek - You make the EMU1212m sound like a must have card! And, unfortunately, I'm looking for one to replace my M-Audio Revolution; I may not be able to resist this one.

From what Iron_Dreamer wrote, you are not even using a headphone amp. Wonder what amp would complement this soundcard best - and how much better the output would be!
eek.gif

Apr 20, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #42 of 45
The outputs of 1212m are balanced so you can't really plug in a 1/4" headphone into the jack as each jack is mono. You'd have to get a stereo to dual mono splitter and then adapt that to 1/4" TS male. Too complicated in my view.

Apr 20, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by lan The outputs of 1212m are balanced so you can't really plug in a 1/4" headphone into the jack as each jack is mono. You'd have to get a stereo to dual mono splitter and then adapt that to 1/4" TS male. Too complicated in my view.

lan - I don't know whether or not you were responding to my post, but now I'm really confused. How do you use a headphone - or a headphone amp - with this card then?? I foolishly thought the card had a headphone jack, like "normal" consumer cards, and that you plugged the amp IC (mono to stereo) into this jack and your headphones into the amp. What do you have to do instead?
confused.gif

Apr 20, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #45 of 45
Pro cards don't usually have headphone jacks but RCA, 1/4", and XLR outputs. 1/4" unbalanced carry stereo which you could plug a headphone and get sound (although it's debatable if it's great). 1/4" balanced is mono so you can't really use a headphone in there. Since the emu has balanced outputs you need to use 2 1/4" jacks for stereo. You can do the conversion to unbalanced with 1/4" TS jack on the end that goes in the card. You either make a cable with that on the end and RCA on the other or use a 1/4" TS to RCA female convertor and then just use your RCA-RCA cable to connect to your amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back