Infrared Sennheisers based on HD 580 ?? (IS 850 system)
Jan 4, 2008 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

d.phens

100+ Head-Fier
They used to sell for 2000 Deutsche Marks new!
Sennheiser_IS 850 digital_High-End_Schnurlos Kopfhörer bei eBay.de: Funkkopfhörer (endet 04.01.08 19:45:00 MEZ)
Now that's obscure!

The Sennheiser® IS 850
Digital Infrared Headphone System

The IS 850 is a digital infrared headphone listening system which guarantees true CD quality music reproduction. The system consists of a high quality digital infrared transmitter and top-of-the-line stereo headphones incorporating a digital to analog converter.

The S 850 infrared transmitter can be connected to either analog or digital signal sources like amplifiers, DAT recorders, CD players, or DSR tuners. Optically supplied digital signals of different sampling frequencies are automatically detected and processed by the transmitter. Analog signals received by gold-plated cinch sockets are digitized with a 64 times ovesampling, high resolution delta-sigma analog to digital converter. An anti-aliasing filter substantially reduces noise and distortion. The classic column shape of the transmitter not only fits into every living room environment, but also insures a wide infrared coverage area.

The HDI 850 Digital headphones’ optical receiver transfers the digital signals to the BCC converter (Bitstream Continuous Calibration) where they are converted back to analog signals. Because of the acoustic requirements of the HDI 850 Digital, Sennheiser has developed a new “Duofol” diaphragm comprising of two wafer-then films. The double layer design of the diaphragm avoids harmonics at high frequencies and eliminates nearly all tonal discoloration. Further, optimizing the magnet system has increased the proportion of low frequency sound.

The IS 850 Digital infrared listening system achieves impressively precise, clear and natural music reproduction.

HDI 850 DIGITAL I.R. HEADPHONES
Frequency Response: 10 - 20 kHz
Signal-to-noise ratio: >101 dB
Total Harmoic Distortion: 0.006%
Power Supply: 2 round cells (type LR 6)
Weight: 11.4 ounces / 330 grams

S850 DIGITAL I.R. TRANSMITTER
Frequency Response: 10 - 20 kHz
Input Connectors: analog (cinch), digital optical (Toslink), digital coaxial (cinch)

I'll ask the seller if I can put here a copy of his pictures...

Jan 4, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 6
They look scary.
Anybody heard of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back