Infrant ReadyNAS is anyone here using them?
Feb 2, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodcans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my relatively small cabinet with no ventilation to speak of, the drives stay around 37c during heavy use. They haven't gone above 40c even with the cabinet doors closed. If I leave one of the two doors open, they stay a few degrees cooler.

And yes, it is plug & play w/ the raid. If you lose a drive you can just put in a new one without losing any data.

Correction: After nonstop running for approx. 48 hours in a 2x3x5 foot cabinet w/ closed doors and 1 small 1.5 inch ventilation hole, the drives are running at the following temps (C): 39, 41, 41, 36.

Also, installed 1 gb of crucial ram. The web interface is much zippier, and the sb3 & tp are more responsive.

Overall: two thumbs up for the readyNASv+!!

wc

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #17 of 20
I have one as well. My readyNAS to SB3 performance is pathetic- when run directly. I am running silmserver on my desktop and streaming the NAS files is considerably quicker (for some reason). I have a gigabit network outside of my router, which does not support jumbo frames. I am also running cat5e and have not attempted to upgrade the RAM, so take this for what it is worth.

As a network storage drive it is pretty quick, however. At first is was really slow, but I did some network tweaking that helped.

As far as noise- it is much better than advertised. When it boots it can be a little fan loud, but when the fans arent running it is whisper quiet. I have it in another room from my computers so it doesnt bother me a bit. I haven't measured the temps, but the physical drives seem to be quite cool.

I could have built a server to house a gazillion drives, but this is much easier (for a price). Also it is tiny, and is much easier to deal with than any raid card or software I have dealt with. Finally, upscaling the raid drives kicks ass. I believe this is a proprietary property of infrants x raid, but I may be wrong about that (I am not a raid expert).

ReadyNAS is really nice, but its much more expensive than what you could build on your own.

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ReadyNAS is really nice, but its much more expensive than what you could build on your own.

I looked at getting one last year, but went with the Buffalo Terastation instead. The price difference was the main difference. The Terastation cost $529 (at JandR) and the ReadyNas was at least double that if I remember correctly.

What advantage does the ReadyNas have over the Buffalo? My Terastation is full, so I am going to be in the market for more storage soon.

Feb 2, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What advantage does the ReadyNas have over the Buffalo? My Terastation is full, so I am going to be in the market for more storage soon.

That's exactly where the advantage is. If/when your readynas is full you can just buy new hard drives and replace them without having to do major backups (although it's still smart to do so) or lose any data. X-RAID will let you replace your hard drives 1 at a time and then it will expand the storage once all the smaller drives are out and all the larger ones are installed. It's so easy a caveman could do it!

Feb 8, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #20 of 20
I can't see why I would want to replace perfectly good drives. It seems like it would be a waste of a terabyte of storage to just pull them out and replace them.

Also, I thought the drives were swappable on the Buffalo, too? While I have not looked into it, the RAID5 configuration is supposed to allow the user to just pop another one in (the same size or larger) if one dies. This leads me to believe that it would be easy to swap them out if I wanted to.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back