informations on Burr Brown OPA627ap VS OPA627bp VS 637
Nov 6, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier
As I learned from PPL, DC offset is distortion at 0hz...

JF

yes John this it true since distortion is something not present in the signal and is generated by the device all on its own its IMHO distortion. Anyway since the application discussed hear is most likely a unity gain application the choice is a no brainier the unity gain stable OPA627 is the one to use for the lower DC offset the OPA627BP.

Nov 6, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ppl
yes John this it true since distortion is something not present in the signal and is generated by the device all on its own its IMHO distortion. Anyway since the application discussed hear is most likely a unity gain application the choice is a no brainier the unity gain stable OPA627 is the one to use for the lower DC offset the OPA627BP.

So you do think bp will sound better then ap on a source-schematic path?

Nov 6, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
So you do think bp will sound better then ap on a source-schematic path?

I don't think it is possible to hear a difference. My preference, though, since I planned to only build one "amp" was to use devices that do measure better or have better spec sheets.

I'll admit that I don't like listening tests, because I think they are too stressfull and I also think the results are too debatable... I'd like to hear the opinion of a classically trained musician though...

JF

Nov 6, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #19 of 23
Hey... we're all in this hobby that surpasses reason. Who cares if it doesn't sound better right. It feels better, deep within our hearts, to know that the better chip is installed...
tongue.gif
If it feels better, it sounds better, and hence, it is better. The more enlightened we are, the more our mind is separated from the other worldly posessions such as money...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this was what this crazy hobby was all about.
tongue.gif

And hence, I use the BPs.

Nov 7, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #23 of 23
I originally built my Pimeta with a gain of 7 so that I could use the OPA637AP. A few days ago I swapped in the OPA627AP and I think I like them better with my Alessandro MS2s. Some songs are better with the OPA627 and some are better with the OPA637. The OPA seems to have a little more lively sound, but sounds a tiny bit less natural in my opinion. The gain of 7 is way to high with my MS-2s, so I think I am going to lower it and just use the OPA627s.

I would stick to the OPA627 if I were you. I can't provide you with help from real world experience about the AP vs. BP, but I would probably just go with the AP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back