Information on Koetsu Cartridges and Rega Tonearms?
Jul 15, 2008 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nard

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing a Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru and upgrading my current setup. I was wondering if it will be a good match for the equipment that I have.

Gear that I will be using:
-Rega P5(RB700 tonearm)
-Rega TT PSU (external psu for the P5, pretty noticable difference)
-Cambridge Audio Azur 640P Phono preamp
-Onkyo 805 receiver

I believe the Azur 640p should be able to provide enough gain for the Urushi Tsugaru(.6mV). I've looked at the other higher end Koetsu's, and I dont think I can use any of the platinums because of the low output(.2mV), and the other urushi have .4mV output which is slightly less for what the 640p says would be good for nominal output.

I was trying to find out if the arm and cartridge was a good match, but im having a hard time finding the compliance for the cartridge, and weight of the arm, so any experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.

and 1 last question, is it significantly cheaper buying this cartridge in Japan or Asia? I might be going there in the fall, which isnt very far away, and if I can save quite a bit, that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 10
OK, I hate to be a jerk, but...

I don't think that it makes sense to buy a $4,300 phono cartridge to use with a $169 phono preamp. You have an excellent turntable and tonearm. If you go with a world-class low-output MC cartridge like a Koetsu, you need to invest in a MC phonostage that will allow you to adjust the impedance to match. What cartridge are you using now?

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I hate to be a jerk, but...

I don't think that it makes sense to buy a $4,300 phono cartridge to use with a $169 phono preamp.

With the Rega P5, I would not use a cartridge that cost more than $1,000.
You will be more than happy with the following choices.
Spend the extra money on more vinyl.

Lyra Dorian I $995.00

Shelter 501 II $900.00

Dynavector 17D3 MKI $950.00

Skylab is correct.
I would spend more money on the phono preamp.

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 10
Sorry to disagree mates (at least in part). Once, many many moons ago, I dared to fit a 3000USD cart on an affordable Project turntable, and the damn thing sounded sooo good... But kind of agree about the phonostage, but who knows, my own phonostage isn't considered world class by any means, but I like it way better than all the "world class" ones I've tried. To each one his own.

Rgrds

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 10
The issue with the phonostage is with a low-output MC you need exact impedance matching, which almost all inexpensive phono preamps lack.

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 10
Agree, The 640P is a good budget Phono stage (I own one). It does'nt do justice to my Dynavector 17D3 or my Benz LO4, it certainly won't do justice to a Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru. Which is why I purchased an Einstein "the Turntables choice".

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for the input guys, and dont worry about it, I came here to ask for advice and opinions. I'm currently using a Dynavector 20x, and it's okay. I think most music I listen to is midrange stuff, and I was thinking if i were to invest in a cartridge, It would be able to make the type of music I like way more enjoyable, and also that would last me a long time as i upgrade tt's and arms. so basically just get a nice one that I wont need to upgrade in a long time.

I agree with the phono too, that was why I wasnt exactly too sure how it would work. but it seemed okay, but probably wouldnt be able to bring out the koetsu to it's full potential.

so if i really want something that is similar to koetsu's midrange fullness, would the shelter 501 2 be a good fit for what I have setup?

Jul 16, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 10
The Rega P5 is a nice table but it's pretty entry level. I know they are expensive in the States but that's because of the exchange rates. I think you'd be mad to put anything that expensive on it.
The Rega arm can deal with a Koetsu but the rest of the deck isn't really up to it. Putting it through a more revealing phonostage will only give you further insight into this fact.
If you want to spend 4000 USD on your analogue front end you'd be much better off trading up to a better turntable like a Michell Gyro or Orbe. Next I would spend money on a better tonearm like an SME IV before you consider spending more than 1500USD on a cart.
Remember the cart can only perform as well as the tonearm allows and a better tonearm tracking a cheaper cart will often sound better than a cheaper tonearm tracking a more exotic cart.

Jul 16, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input guys, and dont worry about it, I came here to ask for advice and opinions. I'm currently using a Dynavector 20x, and it's okay. I think most music I listen to is midrange stuff, and I was thinking if i were to invest in a cartridge, It would be able to make the type of music I like way more enjoyable, and also that would last me a long time as i upgrade tt's and arms. so basically just get a nice one that I wont need to upgrade in a long time.

I agree with the phono too, that was why I wasnt exactly too sure how it would work. but it seemed okay, but probably wouldnt be able to bring out the koetsu to it's full potential.

so if i really want something that is similar to koetsu's midrange fullness, would the shelter 501 2 be a good fit for what I have setup?

I own a Shelter 901. It's not a "midrangey" phono cart by any means, it's in the balanced side of things. I wouldn't expect the 501 to be warmer in the mids, but who knows. In any case I bet it's far from the lushness of the Koetsu.

OTOH Koetsu carts aren't very finicky with tonearm matching, nor "analysis tools" so I wouldn't expect huge improvements by changing the turntable, though having a better phono preamp for sure will make more justice to the Koetsu's signature.

FWIW I've never owned a Koetsu cart, all my comments come from friends' experience and mine on their systems.

Rgrds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back