Info on the Sennheiser CX-475/485 and Sony EX310LP
Apr 17, 2011 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KillerFry

New Head-Fier
Hey there!

Well, I've had a Shure E3c for quite some time. I love them. Unfortunately, the cable is breaking just at the bud, and I don't think it will last long :'(

So, I went to see what I could find in Best Buy - since I have patience issues, and have a hard time ordering online and waiting :p And I found the Sennheiser CX-475 and CX-485. I know Sennheiser is a good manufacturer, so I figured they are good. I also saw the Sony EX310LP which have a nice and catchy package - like most Sony products do. Those and the Klipsch S4.

Thus, to hit the interwebs! I walked over to the Mac section - which, in this particular BB is the only place where the computers have access to the interwebs. Apparently the Sennheisers and the Sony are relatively new, as I found no reviews. :frowning2:

I intend to use them with my Zune HD / Windows Phone - yeah, I'm a Microsoft Whore :wink: - and I like to hear those double bass drums going at it; should I stick to the S4, or wait for some verdict on the CX-475/485 | EX310LP?

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 7
The Sennheiser CX475 and CX485 seem to be brand new so I doubt you'll find any impressions here for a long time (if ever).  I wouldn't mind trying them myself, but the fact that these are exclusive to Best Buy gives me a bad feeling (however irrational) about their performance.

One thing to note: the CX475 doesn't come with a storage pouch, even though Sennheiser USA's website says otherwise.  The CX485 does come with the pouch as well as share adapter, the latter of which is not listed under the website's product description.  And it's a shame the CX485 isn't using the same cable as the CX281.  Obvious cost cutting is obvious.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #3 of 7
is it me or they are just like the 280/281? (270/271 ??) a new version maybe?
the 485 has the volume control like the 280??? are they just mixing up their models?
confused_face_2.gif

anyway. why do they keep with that design?

btw. have you checked clieos and joker's multi-iem reviews? you'll get very good comparisons

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 7
Hi everyone
I came across this page when I googled " Sennheiser CX 485," because I just purchased them from best buy. I know this thread is old but i just couldn't resist.

Let me start off by saying I've owned the Sony buds and the Image S4's both for over 6 months. I was extremely impressed by the sony's, as they were my first "expensive" pair of earbuds (over $70). After I accidentally dropped them then ran them over with my car, I needed a new pair and went back into Best Buy to purchase a new pair, but they were out of the sony's so I got the Image S4's. Seeing as I listen to mostly dance/hip-hop music, I wasn't all too thrilled about the low end response. However, the mids and highs were leaps and bounds ahead of the Sony's. Just something to keep in mind.

So yesterday, at my sisters graduation, I had my iPod on autoplay in my pocket and somehow my S4's managed to slip out and fall into a puddle, where they shorted. Thank god for the two year warranty, I went in to Best Buy about 10 minutes ago and once again they were out of the pair of buds I needed so I looked for a different pair. I saw the Sennheisers (CX 485) and checked them out for a bit. They didn't seem like anything special, but were the only choice I had next to the god awful overpriced shiny labeled Dr. Dre "beats" craphones (plus, sennheiser has never failed me before with their over ear phones). So here I am now, burning them in, and I must say my lord these buds have the absolute BEST high end response I've ever, EVER heard. The low end is awful (kicks are kinda behind everything, bass sounds like mud), but I'm sure I'll get used to it because the highs kind of balance it out. They are entrancing...

So, tl;dr:
Sony - 7/10, amazing low end response, average mids and average highs. Average price too...
Klipsh - 9/ 10, Well balanced, GREAT mids and GREAT highs. Lows are right where they need to be. Price tag is definitely reasonable.
Sennheiser - 11/10, These things have the most AMAZING clarity I've heard from buds. The lows could be better, but still the best pair of buds I've owned. I most definitely recommend these, as they are cheaper than both of those mentioned above.

just made this post to clear up some questions, as i am sure we are not the only ones wanting to compare these three sets of earbuds lol
happy listening!

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 7
I just bought a pair of CX 475's and these things are so much better than I expected. I don't have the extensive ear bud knowledge for comparison, but in my 40 years I can say these are up there near the top of all time headphone/ear bud listening enjoyment. 

I was used to the standard ipod earbuds that are rounded, so when I first tried these they sound odd and cheap.  Then in dawned on me they are shaped different and so I pushed them in a bit further in my ear and WOW these sound awesome!   Not only is the bass great, it makes your ear canal vibrate with the beat, which I cannot say I felt with the standard ipod earbuds.

I don't know the difference between the CX485 and the CX475's that I bought as far as sound goes, the 485 was not present so I did not even see the packaging.  The CX 475's are labeled as "Massive bass" so I don't know if they are different from what the reviewed above me has stated about lacking bass.  All I know is these things are great, super clear sound, nice deep base that sounds like bass and not some empty bucket being hit.

Great ear buds, buy them.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 7
i've had the 475 for about a month and a half. I really like them. they're comfortable, they seal well and the construction is really good. These are an "open" design, so you can hear more of your surrounding as opposed to a "closed" design. they still isolate just fine in my opinion. Plus, when yo have the music on at a reasonable volume, you cant hear anything. There's a 2 year warranty too. The bass has a TON of impact and is very plentiful. They almost vibrate your ears..haha. Very fun to listen to. Clarity,detail,extension and speed of the bass are not quite the best, but for 40 bucks i feel that they are more than fine. Mids are always hard for me to pick out and evaluate, so i am just gonna say that they are average. Highs are not very detailed and sound a little grainy. They also have  a small soundstage too. All in all these are well worth the money. The mids and highs wont wow you persay, but they shouldn't disappoint you either. I am very happy with mine, in fact having owned and returned the original monster turbine..... i prefer these cx 475's for a few reasons. Fit, comfort and fun sound signature. Turbines had better highs and a cleaner bass, but the CX 475 hit way harder. I would fully encourage users to give theses a shot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back