info beyerdynamic dt770,dt990,darths bass
Sep 22, 2007 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nburge

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I see tons of posts on the dt770 so i thought i would post some info on them.

the stock dt770 are bass monsters,many people would say they have the most bass in a headphone. they are a very fun headphone for gaming. The problem with stock dt770 is the mids are recessed and its very obvious the mids sound like they are coming from the back of the can. I would not recommend stock dt770 to anyone unless you are gonna darth them.

There is a fix and its called headphile.com where larry will tweak & recable them,with wooden cups. they are called DARTHBEYERS and can be purchased as low as 360.00. once you mod the dt770 they are a completely different headphone. the comparison is night and day between stock and a darth. I am not an audiophile i do not own various types of equipment. I use my pc as source from an x-fi extreme music soundcard.

I listen to all types of electronic music,rock,rap,etc. the best headphones i have heard are the darthbeyers hands down period. they have mucho bass great mids and highs,are comfortable. of all the headphones ive tried these are the best headphones under 500$ imho. they are the perfect headphone for electronic,rap,bass music,they sound good with rock etc. I think most people who heard darths wold actually make the darth their top headphone.
for rock and classical there is prolly another headphone that might sound better but the darth sound would still be above average with them.

the stock dt990 sounds great to me it has bass(a lot less than dt770) good mids, highs it has a wide soundstage,very detailed. I use my dt990 for gaming as these give me my enemy's position so clear and precise its almost like cheating. the best gaming headphones imho for 3d surround positioning as far as being able to tel where the enemy is by sound are the dt990's. for music they are okay but not great and at times the highs can be harsh on these. i would say that just like the dt770's need to be modded so do the 990's. they need to be re cabled and that will put them near the top of the list for best headphones under 500$ imo. I can tell from listening to them they could be great you can hear the potential. theres a guy named cantsleep here that would recable them for a very low price around 100$ or more.
I hope this helps guys..

I have not tried the dt880's ...

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 9
V3 Darths have tighter bass and more detail in the treble,mids are improved the difference between a stock dt770 and a darthbeyer is NIGHT & DAY NIGHT & DAY NIGHT & DAY. think i made my point. it takes everything good about the dt770 and makes it better and doesn't change anything existing to something negative. the darths excel at mids and highs with the only bass in a headphone that sounds not like bass in a headphone but rather sounds like a subwoofer in your ear without sound being distorted or overpowered.
the darths do not have less bass than the stock dt770. the darths have wooden cups which add to the bass slam.the word most people use when describing darths bass is .... Sick!! darths are bad ass.

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Hmmm,

From Larry, if I was to do a mod from him. Would be the Grado Mods.

RS-1, with his gold dragon recable and C-Cups.

6Moons review said. It doesn't seem to make sense to spend 300 USD minimum, if the stock headphone sounds awful to you. Not saying that it is awful. But why else would someone spend such cash?

WOuldn't it be better to buy a great headphone stock and make it even better with recable? Also the 6Moon reviewer agrees, the recable is what seems to make the most difference, not the wood housing.

Sep 22, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 9
Q: Does having your Beyers "darthed"
rs1smile.gif
change them from sealed to open?

Sep 22, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 9
If you like Beyer's, never to miss trying the DT880. Some would said this model sounds the best. I ordered a Darth Beyer but not yet delivered, but I love my DT880 so much while it sounds so balanced and easy to be accepted compared with other brands I have. If asked me to choose just one model from Beyer, I am sure it should be DT880 until this moment. When you paired it with tube amp or Meier's Corda amps, it sounds so great in all aspect which you hard to find any alternative in market.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by spurlints /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Q: Does having your Beyers "darthed"
rs1smile.gif
change them from sealed to open?

just let larry know if you want to change them to open or closed when you place the order but no larry doesnt open them unless you ask.

Man at work,
I would love to hear the dt880's i keep hearing good things about them. I currently have the dt990' o5 version stock and they are great for gaming but music im persoanlly not happy with them they need to be recabled i think and they are a little brash or harsh at the top. are the dt880s like that?anyways i sold my darths and that was the biggest mistake i made.I think once you hear the darths you then be able to make a fair judgement of what you like best the darths are fantastic,kickass,sick! that being said it is possible you may not like them but the odds are good you will love them. post your thoughts when you get them id love to hear your opinion
smily_headphones1.gif
as far me everyday i miss them and i will be buying a new pair!!

Ruckus,
I was just saying to the other poster who was asking about bass that they had wooden cups which gave a more subwoofer type bass. if i understand correctly the cable makes a huge difference like you said much more so than the wooden cup but i believe larry also tweaks the beyers as well.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nburge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man at work,
I would love to hear the dt880's i keep hearing good things about them. I currently have the dt990' o5 version stock and they are great for gaming but music im personally not happy with them they need to be recabled i think and they are a little brash or harsh at the top. are the dt880s like that?

The DT880's are neutral and very dynamic they sound perfect with all the music I've thrown at them. Rock, Classical, Alternative, Metal, Hardcore, Trance, and Techno.

They also sound very good with my 360 (Used through my 5.1 receiver.) It definitely added a whole new level of realism to my FPS's.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 9
I think the DT770 sound great stock. What do you class as the 'mid-range' in terms of Hz? I'd like to play around with the EQ to see the impact it has on the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back