Inflatable in-ear monitors!
May 30, 2011 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rataplan

Head-Fier
I'm not a huge fan IEMs, but these definitely look pretty cool. If anyone's tried these would love to hear your feedback.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/2011/05/through-diaphonic-lens

video: http://youtu.be/6B9vNqMh0VQ

May 31, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 11
Holy crap that video was very interesting as is the article to bad these not available yet, I would give them a try.

May 31, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #4 of 11
I like the other technology they discussed in the article, it works with a regular tip I believe.

May 31, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
anyone else thinking what if the balloon pops in your ear.

It would probably no longer do its job. 
wink_face.gif

May 31, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 11
Wow, That's cool.

May 31, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #8 of 11
I'm one of the people who experienced the symptoms that has been mentioned in the article... Even listening IEM at low volumes hurts my ears... I hope it's soon commercialized...

And, wow! Even IEM needs a cond** nowadays!

May 31, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 11
Snake oil. If your ear drum moves less, there is less bass and how are you going to get highs from that thing. This is compression for bass heavy phones. If that bass pressure bothers you and you like dynamics range, buy phones that aren't bass monsters and play at reasonable volumes. What he said about the ear was true but his solution absolutely sucks for a problem that can be corrected passively for those that listen reasonably. I guess I should say doesn't need to be corrected for those that listen reasonably.

May 31, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 11
Instead of pumping it directly to eardrum, the bass is circulated by bone conduction...

This is his impression regarding the sound quality with unmodified vs modified Skullcandy Titans:

Quote:

I've personally never been bothered terribly by hearing fatigue, with our without in-ear monitors, nor have I experienced the "pounding" sensation experienced by some, but moving on to a set of eartips mounted with three lenses per side I did notice something out of the ordinary — with three ADEL-covered vents drilled in each eartip, the setup suddenly sounded less like a pair of middling in-ears and more like a nice pair of open-back headphones. The difference was pretty dramatic — it wasn't as if the phones had disappeared, but listening to the Beefheart track the definition of Rockette Morton's bass improved markedly, with articulated attack emerging from what had tended toward a cloudy, pillowy boom with the two-vented eartip, and with significantly more air the overdriven guitars (and tape hiss) were given added life.

Listening to "In Your Eyes" on the three-lens modified eartips, I found that I indeed didn't have to turn up the volume as far as I did with the unmodified units in order for the busy bass, vocal, and synths to feel acceptably balanced and present during the chorus.

Curious to see how it will perform with higher quality IEMs... Maybe it doesn't needed for people who hasn't experienced "pounding" sensation... But certainly the added sonic improvement may becomes appealing...

When I tried dynamic driver IEM, this sensation is very noticeable... Thumping feeling in every bass kicks... The effect is less happened in my BA IEM, but I definetly feel it's still in there, only very subtle...

I can lower the volume to the points that I can't feel this thumping sensation (bass impact)... But at that volume, dynamics is very limited (bass can't be heard), soundstage is very small without transparency (only left right) and no subtle details...

When I turn it up to get the dynamics right, big soundstage with transparency, I only can hear maximum about 30-60 minutes before my eardrums really hurt... It needs a rest about half a day before I can listen again :frowning2:

Some times ago, I hope I can get rid of this pounding feeling by buying high-end BA iem... Yes it's reduced very much, but I'm still experiencing it...

I also experienced this symptoms a little with my closed-on-ears headphone... With a speaker and my open over-the-ear cans, I don't experience this, although certainly there's much more bass impact :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back