Infinity QE speakers...return or repair? **PICS**
Jul 31, 2008 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mzisman4

New Head-Fier
I was at the local thrift shop looking for a cheap amp and I came across these speakers. i know next to nothing about speakers but recognized the brand name and grabbed them. I have been googling and have found some more information on them but not quite what I need.

The EMIT Tweeters are in good condition but one of the 8" bass cones is damaged. I don't know how to properly describe it so I'll post picks. The speakers are in good asthetic shape but I need to know:

1. How much is the repair going to cost?...if it's possible at all
2. Is the sound quality of the speakers really worth it?

***I have seven days to return them (Aug 6)***

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

[size=medium]GOOD SPEAKER:[/size]
IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

[size=medium]BAD SPEAKER[/size]
IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

CLOSE UP
IMG_0871.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 7
thanks.

The site is filed with info but i have no idea what those specs mean...
I read in the EMIT Tweeter section that you should use at least a 50 watt amp with them...but thats about all I understood.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 7
The damaged speaker is the dust cap...not necessary to the operation of the speaker. However do to the rip it may cause distortion. Try to pull it back into place with a piece of tape. Have a listen to each speaker and see if you can hear a difference.
You should be able to get replacement drivers, however at a purchase price of twenty dollars it may not be worth the money

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 7
if the only problem is that the center dome is broken, that is easily replaced. if there is cone damage as well, then the woofer can be reconed or replaced. the least expensive option is the dustcap, about $5.00. replacement woofers are about $25.00. cathy@speakerex.com

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 7
take the dustcaps off both woofers and just be very careful about dust (involves breaking down the glue used with some sort of solvent). or make a pair of phase plugs to replace the dustcaps, that might even improve off axis response and midrange detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back