Infinity BU-120 - worth fixing?
Jun 20, 2012 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
I recently acquired an Infinity BU-120, not knowing of it's somewhat infamous amp issue, and unfortunately, mine does make popping noises under load. According to Infinity and FWIR replacing the 50v C6 cap with a 100v will fix it, but I don't know if that's true or if it would last. I also am not good at woodworking, and I don't have the tools necessary to make a cut out for another plate amp. If there is a plate amp that would fit over the hole nicely though, that would be great. I feel like it's worth fixing, especially since it's otherwise in good condition, and the driver is good, but maybe it would be better just to buy another one?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
beerchug.gif

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 2
Never mind, I returned it to the pawn shop I bought it from, and got a, IMO, better Klipsch sub. And if anyone cares, I took it to an audio repair guy and he told me that it would be over $200 if I had to get a new plate amp, and of course that's only if it fits. He said that it could be a soldering issue, and that simply replacing the C6 capacitor wouldn't fix it. So, in a nutshell, no. It's not worth fixing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back