Infamous iPod "Audio Defect" -- still there?
May 9, 2005 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PATB

1000+ Head-Fier
It's been a year since I purchased my mini, so I guess I can indulge in a new 20G or 40G iPod (non-photo). Last year, there were reports of iPod audio defects when used with certain phones.

Are the new iPods free of the dreaded "audio defect"? Are there any other iPod quality problems I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance for any information.

May 9, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 3
Its probably going to be tough to find a new 40gb 4th gen. Maybe you can find one on closeout or something. You can check out Ipodlounge.com for updates on defects or complaints about the player. I havent had any problems with my 4G 40GB (knock on wood) but sometimes I think I hear like a dirty sound. I dont know if thats the way the music is (sample based hip hop) but whenever that happens I reset the player and it seems to me to help.

May 9, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 3
For the record it was never all of them (I had models with and without), but as far as I've known, the complaints haven't been there for current Photos. Not sure about current 4Gs.

Living where you do you could always just take it back to the Apple Store in Palo Alto. If you decide to skip that and go with the HP version (will be serviced by HP, not Apple), dealmac.com right now lists:

Buy.com offers the factory-refurbished Hewlett-Packard iPod 20GB MP3 player for $229.99. New customers can apply this $15 off $200 coupon and the price falls to $214.99. With free shipping, that's $7 off our last mention and over $50 less than the best total price we could find for a new, factory-sealed unit. After coupon, the factory-refurbished Hewlett-Packard iPod 40GB MP3 player is also available for $294.99 shipped. (The iPodlounge lists several caveats of using the HP iPod with a Mac.) Coupon ends May 31.

Coupon: http://dealcoupon.com/merchants/buy.com.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back