Inexpensive warm amp for K-550??
Feb 5, 2013 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FoxSpirit

Head-Fier
Well, thread title says it all. The K-550 are fantastic but with the majority of source material they just highlight how cold, harsh and flat the mixes are. Well, nothing you can do about the flat but the cold harshness can surely be battled.
So I want an amp that ads a nice warm touch, maybe simply rolls off the highs naturally but does not compromise the great soundstage too much. Ah heck, I even take that if the price is right. Power is not really a topic since the K-550 drive so easily.

Open to both SolidState and Tube.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 13
Little Dot 1+ hybrid?

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 13
Hmmm, sounds interesting.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 13
I really like my current O2/ODAC combo with the K550. Even as someone who loves the type of signature of the SR-007, LCD-2, SE530, etc (all often known as warmer than neutral headphones with laid back highs), I never find the particular combo too bright. It's just right IMO.

If you need a really warm amp though, I can recommend an M3 with the OPA627 opamps. You can find an M3 used at reasonable prices these days (though the budget was never stated here so I have no clue on what the standard of inexpensive here is).

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 13
Admittedly, the only amp I have experience with is the Project Sunrise II tube amp. I love it, but those with more experience with other amps seem to love it more:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/601207/project-sunrise-ii-kit-review

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Well, thread title says it all. The K-550 are fantastic but with the majority of source material they just highlight how cold, harsh and flat the mixes are. Well, nothing you can do about the flat but the cold harshness can surely be battled.
So I want an amp that ads a nice warm touch, maybe simply rolls off the highs naturally but does not compromise the great sound stage too much. Ah heck, I even take that if the price is right. Power is not really a topic since the K-550 drive so easily.

Open to both SolidState and Tube.
smily_headphones1.gif

What source(s) are you going to be plugging the K550 and headphone amplifier into?
A PC desktop or laptop or MAC or other?

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for the replies.
Source is a Xonar DX. From the looks I will get an I+. Also pondered an O2 but I need something against the shred in modern recordings. Maybe later.

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
Source is a Xonar DX. From the looks I will get an I+. Also pondered an O2 but I need something against the shred in modern recordings. Maybe later.

The Xonar DX is a good sound card, but does not come with a headphone amplifier and it's line-out/headphone jack has a high impedance :frowning2:
So getting an external headphone amplifier with a low impedance should improve the audio quality of the AKG K550.
The PAV2V is the cheapest ($70) ac powered head amp that I know of that has a low impedance.
(I believe it has a low impedance)
The Schiit Magni or O2 head amps would be good choices.

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #12 of 13
Hmmm, now I am torn :-\

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #13 of 13
I'm using my K550 with a microStreamer and the PA2V2, and the amp realy improves the sound to me. It feels like the mS is unable to drive the K550 properly, while the PA2V2 has enough power, making the phones more musical, adding some PRaT and body to the music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back