Inexpensive studio monitor setup for small bedroom?
Jul 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chris7626

New Head-Fier
First off, I would like to introduce myself! I'm a new member here at the Head-Fi forums, although I've perused the information available for many months now. I'm a drummer, gamer, and budding audiophile.

Anyways, I recently treated myself to a new turntable to play the records I've had lying around for a long time and it got me wanting to build a nice listening environment in my bedroom. Currently I'm running all of my computers and turntable through a set of Klipsch 5.1 computer speakers, but as I'm getting into more mixing and music composition lately I feel like I deserve a set of studio monitors. I would be running a desktop computer, my Macbook, my turntable, and maybe a source switchbox for some game systems through them. If I got a set of powered monitors, I think all I would need is a little desktop mixer to run the sources into, correct? And that leads me to my question: what monitors and mixer should I get for >$300 to make a solid audio setup? I'm sure this question has been asked over 9,000 times, but I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

-Chris

Jul 23, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 8
M--Audio BX5 D2? I hear they are quite good.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 8
You are right. Good set of monitors make more sense for mixing than a 5.1 set. For the money, you'll get better music reproduction with the monitors.

Monoprice sells knock offs of the M-Audio BX5 D2. That would leave you more money for your mixing gear.

Jul 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 8
What do you mean by knockoffs? Like, are they the same thing?

Probably not. But they appear to be copying the design and seem a very good value: http://www.head-fi.org/t/647965/monoprice-just-came-out-with-5-3-studio-monitors-165-75

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 8
Probably not. But they appear to be copying the design and seem a very good value: http://www.head-fi.org/t/647965/monoprice-just-came-out-with-5-3-studio-monitors-165-75

Upon close inspection, those look like the exact same monitors. I think I'll pick those up. Thanks for the info! What kind of portable/desktop board do you think I should get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back