Inexpensive Replacement cable for new HiFiMan HE-400i?
Mar 18, 2016 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mikesale

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an inexpensive replacement cable for my HE-400i (3.5mm to two 2.5mm) that's something like this one for the HD700:
http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphones/dp/B00KBBR8T4/

All those I can find for the 400i are either on their site for $130 and has the right angle cord that I don't want (nor care to pay that much) or with the old connectors.

I've seen people with them listed, but been unable to find them myself.

Help?

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 15
I tried a cable from amazon (same company) for my AKG Q701. I didn't care for it really. It didn't sound as good as the factory AKG cable.

Though the Amazon cable does look nice :/. I did recently order a cable from ForzaAudioWorks. I haven't received them yet. Price is pretty good. (color series HPC)

The Forza cables seem to have good specs: "pure OFC 99,99% copper."​

Where as the Amazon cable only list the length? I didn't see your Hifiman HE-400i listed, But is this headphone cable able to use other manufacturer cables?

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 15

Where as the Amazon cable only list the length? I didn't see your Hifiman HE-400i listed, But is this headphone cable able to use other manufacturer cables?

The 400i has the 2.5mm connectors and can use other can cables (someone has mentioned a B&W that has a similar setup and is also the same with the HE-1000)

The forza series you mentioned has the "old" connectors, not the new ones on the 400i/1000, etc. with the 2.5mm standard connectors. That is exactly what I"m looking for, but with the new connectors.

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 15
  I'm looking for an inexpensive replacement cable for my HE-400i (3.5mm to two 2.5mm) that's something like this one for the HD700:
http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphones/dp/B00KBBR8T4/

All those I can find for the 400i are either on their site for $130 and has the right angle cord that I don't want (nor care to pay that much) or with the old connectors.

I've seen people with them listed, but been unable to find them myself.

Help?

The cable you've shown will work just fine on your 400i.

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 15
  The 400i has the 2.5mm connectors and can use other can cables (someone has mentioned a B&W that has a similar setup and is also the same with the HE-1000)

The forza series you mentioned has the "old" connectors, not the new ones on the 400i/1000, etc. with the 2.5mm standard connectors. That is exactly what I"m looking for, but with the new connectors.

I'm sure Matthew from Forza can make a version with the new connectors for HifiMan, as he has some more expensive cable with those connectors.

I've a color series cable for the 400i (with old connectors) and it's a really well made, flexible cable. The sound signature is what you would expect from a copper cable.

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 15
Can you refer me to someone who can custom build it for me please?

Thank you

Pretty sure he's saying it's cheap for you to build your own. Of course, that assumes that you have the soder skills, parts (the wire and connectors about $30 minimum for the essentials only and easy to spend $200 on parts for a cable including connectors, wire, cover, heat shrink, etc.), and tools (basics I've priced out starting at $100, more like $200).. so not cheap to build the first one compared to what you can get on amazon or eBay for a pretty basic cable, but if you're going to spend $200+, it becomes possibly a good deal (again, if you have the skills, tools, patience and the long view). 

Or you can just pick up a $100 custom cable from eBay, or a $40 cable from amazon

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #12 of 15
Thanks Coli.

Pro audio LA don't have it and it doesn't look like Chromaleaf has it either.

Was thinking to use like 4-6' extension cable and save a lot of money and try it out if there is any loss in quality

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 15
Thanks Coli.

Pro audio LA don't have it and it doesn't look like Chromaleaf has it either.

Was thinking to use like 4-6' extension cable and save a lot of money and try it out if there is any loss in quality

Where are you in Socal, I have a cheap Best Buy type extension cable you can try and see before buying. I'm in South Orange County if you are close. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 15
Thank you so much Bob for the offer. I am in LA. I already ordered one from Amazon like an hour ago and it should be here on Sunday. If I don't like it I will return with zero loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back