Inexpensive, quality CDP?
Apr 30, 2002 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

stallion11msu

100+ Head-Fier
Does it exist!? I hope this isn't a completely senile question. I only recently started on the road to total audio enlightenment! Anyway, I'm looking for an inexpensive CD player (under $200) that will export good quality audio directly to my headphone amp and HD580s. I don't need any bells and whistles, just a cut-and-dry player with quality sound. Does something that fits this criteria even exist?

Geez, I hope I'm not making a fool of myself by asking this!
confused.gif

-Peace, and if anyone want to take my CEM 141 exam for me, it's tomorrow at 7:45 AM.

Apr 30, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by stallion11msu

Geez, I hope I'm not making a fool of myself by asking this!
confused.gif

-Peace, and if anyone want to take my CEM 141 exam for me, it's tomorrow at 7:45 AM.

Not at all, that's what the forum's here for. You might want to look at the Denon 370, which generally can be found for between $100-150. Ubid had a bunch of them a few months ago (maybe still do?). Other than that, keep an eye on the cd players listed on www.audiogon.com, you can get sopme good deals on used cdps.

BTW - just one more exam for me before graduation!

Apr 30, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
I have the Technics SL-PG4 single disc player. It was $120 at J&R, www.jandr.com

In my opinion, for the price, it's an excellent player. I've had it for over 6 months and I have no complaints and have had no problems with it.

I also have the SL-PG4 and for a $120 it is a fantastic CD player. Highly recomended.

Nick

May 1, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 13
The problem in using the AMC CD8B to "export good quality audio directly to my headphone amp and HD580s", which is what stallion wants, is that it has no headphone jack. With an amp, it's an excellent, smooth sounding performer for the money.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #10 of 13
Can't you get an mini to RCA connector, which would bypass the need for a headphone out?

May 1, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #11 of 13
Why would you want a mini to RCA? If you really wanted to hook the HD-580s up to the RCA outputs, you would need a 1/4 jack split to two RCA plugs. But you wouldn't have any volume control. Not recommended.
frown.gif

May 1, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #12 of 13
well, what about a Game Junkie 3' RCA to mini into my headphone amp (which has volume control) and then on out to the HD 580s. What is the problem with this?

http://www.twisted-pair-design.com/dmsgamejunkie.htm

Or should I have JMT build RCA inputs directly into my amp?

I don't know...It's late...

May 1, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 13
Yes, that would work.

I have plugged my CMOY into both the headphone out and the RCA jacks of my CD player via an RCA-to-mini converter. I couldn't tell the difference.

Of course, a more elegant solution for home listening would be to get RCA jacks built into the amp, but then of course you would need a converter if you wanted to use it for portable purposes.

Unless you had BOTH built in. But in my experience, it really doesn't matter, at least not on my somewhat crappy phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back