Inexpensive portable amp for IEM use?
Oct 5, 2017 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

vector84

500+ Head-Fier
So a brief stint with a Topping NX2 has me looking for something to pair with IEMs to provide current buffering and a low output impedance. Unfortunately the noise floor (audible to me even through an iFi Ear Buddy) and rather extreme EMI susceptibility are pretty unbearable, so I'm looking for something else.

What I'm looking for:

Exhaustive battery life would be highly preferable (hence trying the NX2 first).

Reasonable noise floor - I don't necessarily mind using the Ear Buddy to reduce the noise floor to comfortable levels, but I'd certainly prefer to not have to always do so.

Reasonable EMI performance - I don't plan to have it strapped to an LTE phone or similar, but the NX2 starting to crackle wildly when it gets within a few feet of a 2.4GHz WiFi device. I can't really live with that - being able to stick it to a WiFi enabled device at least would be preferable.

DAC functionality isn't necessary - a nice added bonus at best - but being able to play while charging is rather ideal.

Trying to keep the price relatively limited, but I'm coming up short on options. A Fiio Q1 seems like it might be worth trying? Possibly some sort of cMoy variant? Or maybe building something like a basic opamp based buffer?

So how about it? Is there something else I should be considering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back