Inexpensive mod gives nice quality increase for at-home critical listening
Nov 30, 2011 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nepenthe

500+ Head-Fier
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XO7ICO/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

Or any skinny pillow, but this one with the microbeads is great because it squishes down under my spine and then supports my head just enough that the earcups are not touching the couch / recliner / pillow or whatever I happen to be reclining or lying on.

Let me explain. I like to sometimes recline on the recliner or lie on the sofa or the bed and listen to headphones. Sometimes I have something on the television that I'm watching but not listening to, other times I like a real dim light, other times I like it pitch black.

But there's a problem. The earcups of my headphones make little fidgeting and adjusting noises because they're against the pillow or couch or back of the recliner, whatever. These are tiny little sounds but they get amplified and microphonicized by the earcups and since I listen at low volume they end up intruding into the music and becoming annoying. It kind of sucks. I know in the scheme of the history of mankind's struggles and hardships this one rates pretty low, but it's there.

Enter this pillow. It provides just enough separation that the earcups are only touching my head and are hovering just above the pillow or recliner or couch arm or whatever. No more little fidgeting / moving / fabric noises!

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 8
Deserves one bump. Really, this is the biggest sound improvement I've experienced. Better than source, amp, and even to some extent choice of headphones.

Granted, if you listen to everything sitting up then this won't have any interest...

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 8

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 8
I thought this was about getting a haircut to improve headphone fit (again..). A small pillow that won't touch the headphones helps, indeed, with bigger pairs.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Really interesting. I have to try! 
Problem is..i tend to fall asleep when listening to music. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 8
Yes! I like this sort of thing. I watch movies laying down with headphones, and have the some annoyances with normal pillows. I found a memory foam pillow intended for legs that is just the right size for my head.

I considered making a sort of dock for the headphones to get rid of the clamping force as well. i.e. let the pillow hold the headphones. Haven't gotten that far yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back