Inexpensive Metal/Techno Closed Cans?
May 12, 2009 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

darkresiak

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking around a bit for the past few days, and have found some helpful posts that have given me some insight into some potential purchases I plan on making in the near future, but I would appreciate some help!

I'm moving into a dorm come august, and would like some good quality Closed cans, for 150 bucks or less. I listen to mostly death-metal, trance, and some other metal/techno genres.

I've been looking at some of the following:
Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone DJ1
(found both of those for 160 on eBay, so it'd be a bit of a stretch on the budget, but I would still like some opinions, and I know there is virtually no difference between the two..)
Ultrasone HFI 450s
Sennheiser HD280s
Audio Technica ATH-A700

I'm open to some other suggestions, and as I don't have much of a budget, I would like to avoid an amp as much as possible. I'll be doing mostly computer-based listening from MP3's.

Thanks!

May 12, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 15
Look at the D1001's as well. They are pretty good for techno.

I think there might be an AKG.. that might do quite well too.
I can never remember which AKG is which though >_>.

May 12, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 15
I'll be sure to checkout the D1001's, they seem to be definitely in my price range.
I was able to find some AKG K271 MKII's for 145ish on eBay, but I'm not sure if they're the closed design I'm looking for, or how good they are for metal/techno.

May 12, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Uam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No question, the HFI-780's are the ones you want...

I don't have the money for the 780s, the lowest I've seen them go for is 250.

I appreciate the suggestion though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone are great for Minimal and Techno.

Here more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...arison-401879/

Thanks for that thread, very helpful!

However, I'm not sure what you mean by "great for Minimal."

May 12, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 15
EDIT: Nevermind

May 12, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkresiak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have the money for the 780s, the lowest I've seen them go for is 250.

I appreciate the suggestion though.

Try used on the FS forum... the need burn in time anyway.
wink.gif

May 12, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Any word on the Audio Technica ATH-A700?

Anything I've read about the A700's is mediocre. The search feature should help you find some information.

The AD700, the open variant, is quite nice, however.
wearing them right now =)

May 12, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 15
Ugh, I found an AD700 appreciation thread, makes me want to get some. However, I really cannot put up with an open-can come august, I'd rather not start out with me and my roommate neck-and-neck from day one
frown.gif

How about the HFI450's? For the price, how do they compare to the Senn's HD280?

May 13, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 15
Coming from a Trance and House Junkie, my vote goes to the Denon D1001's. The price is definitely what you are looking for.
If down the road you want to upgrade, then at that point I personally would get either an Ultrasone or a higher end Denon. You really can't go wrong either way. But for your price range, the D1001's will certainly not disappoint.

May 29, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Another one I'm thinking about are the JVC ha-dx1's, how do they compare to the other cans I've listed?

There is one good thread on the HA-DX1 phones on the forum with posts over the past week or so by myself and a couple of other head-fi'ers. The sound description of the JVC phones and some of the other peoples experience was enough to convince me to buy a pair without hearing them. It would seemy might give a close approximation to the sound signature of the AD700 which I have heard and liked ALOT, but in a closed can which meets your needs. I also suspect they will fit a bit snugger which was one serious issue I had with the AD700 phones.

I will be posting my experience in the JVC thread after I get them, I'll do an initial impression post followed a couple more posts as they burnin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back