Inexpensive laptop?
Dec 16, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 15
Will a inexpensive laptop work and sound as good as a expensive one. If your using a external dad?

Yes but only in the sense that some expensive laptops can also have some issues supplying USB power, especially when running off the battery and/or having other devices on the other USB ports.

Get a DAC that runs off its own power supply instead of USB power and you'll be able to avoid this issue. But pick a laptop based on your other needs, if you need it for anything other than a music server. If you need an ultraportable for example get the thinnest one with an SSD that you can afford and then use a USB HDD array or NAS, either way if the DAC runs off its own PSU even the USB drive won't be a problem.

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 15
Thx . I already have a 17" descent laptop and a iPad 2 and mini2. I just need something small for hard drive music and streaming tidal while on the couch.

Why not get an Android based DAP then? They would probably cost the same as a cheap laptop if you don't have one already.

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 15
Thx . I already have a 17" descent laptop and a iPad 2 and mini2. I just need something small for hard drive music and streaming tidal while on the couch.

If you have a MacMini you can run it as a headless audio server and have the iPad as its interface, then just run a long optical cable to your DAC. You can control the MacMini using the iPad.

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 15
Thx above. No Mac mini. iPad mini.
Now I'm using Fiiio x5 for my flac files.
The iPad mini to stream tidal.
A laptop could do both functions.
Just a thought.

Both an iPad mini and a Android based DAP would be able to do both functions too. For the iPad mini, just convert the FLAC to ALAC, and you can sync it to your iPad.

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 15
Thx. Sounds like a great idea. Do you by chance know of the x5iii supports digital music out. ( bypassing the fiio dac and amp). I did research the product and I believe this is not a option.

It has USB out, but Fiio has stated that they currently cannot guarantee 100% compatible with all devices.

Dec 17, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 15
Thx above. The idea of streaming and a onboard hard drive. With a small hand held device .
I've read a few reviews today. A lot to understand lol.
I'm interested in tidal MQA files
Looks like a Onkyo or a pioneer is the only dap the can play those files.
Thx for the info. Research has begone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back