Inexpensive Interconnect recomendation.
May 26, 2003 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bozebuttons

Co-organized 1st International HF Meet (NY 2006)
Godfather of Babylon
I had borrowed some Interconnects from anthony at Abeerden audio.
Some really expensive stuff. He also gave me a one meter pair of Nordost black knight interconnects $80.00 a meter pair.
I hooked it up between my sony9000es Sacd player and melos maestrobater.
Headphones where the Hp1s
First Sacd I played was the Police
Every breath you take album.
The black night cables made this Sacd rock. Bass extension was really good. You could hear the drum sticks wacking on the skins with great impact and definition.
Vocals are completely focused. Instruments came through very believable.
I put a 500.00 interconnect That I also borrowed in the same system. The black nights blew them out of the water in every aspect.
If you are looking for a truly Great value in an interconnect you owe it to youself to check these out., even if your budget allows you to spend on lot more on your cables.
I am keeping them. No they are not better then my audioquest amazons
Which are 2400.00 a meter pair Or the Nodost Valhalla 3300.00 a meter, But in no way are they are embarresed by them. I would say you get 80 -85% of their performance for a small fraction of their cost.
These have to earn a budget alert
award.Anthony said I would be impressed with them, He wasn't kidding.

May 26, 2003 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 13
Hi Boze...

Thanks for the tip - I will be in the market for some interconnects one of these days. Are you in a position to compare the Black Knights against local faves, Outlaws?

smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 13
Interesting about the Black Knights. I had the Blue Heaven ICs, and I liked them quite a bit with the Creek OBH-11SE and Senn HD-600s. They sounded punchy, dynamic, alive, but still pretty well-balanced. But then I got my W1000 'phones, and the sound was thin, with an emphasis on the transients, with no body to the mids and a lightweight bass. I switched the Blue Heavens into my main rig, putting WireWorld Equinox on the headphone rig. WireWorld sounded much better with the W1000s, I see now why people were raving about these phones when they first came out. However, the Blue Heavens just didn't quite jive with my main system. My fiancee asked if I turned off the REL sub, and I felt I lost some midrange information in exchange for treble "air."

May 27, 2003 at 9:28 AM Post #8 of 13
I had the Black Knights for several days for audition at one time. They sounded very fast clean and detailed but in my system, a bit too bright. Definetely not for already bright system. Good for darker sounding rigs. If one is after neutrality, IMO there are better cables to be had for the same price.. I hear blue heaven is better but haven't listened to it.

May 27, 2003 at 5:04 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by blr
Definetely not for already bright system. Good for darker sounding rigs. If one is after neutrality, IMO there are better cables to be had for the same price.. I hear blue heaven is better but haven't listened to it.

Yep. They take the fat off the middle.

May 28, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for the tip Bozebuttons. I, for one, also certainly appreciate this kind of recommendation amidst the great striving masses of interconnects out there.
Its especially helpful when such a bargain IC is directly compared favorably to rather exotic, famous and megadollar cables such as you noted.
Thanks again, it was much appreciated. I will be ordering a pair very soon.

JC

Jun 19, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 13
I sent Highwaystar The blackKNights,
to use with his mxp3 he was so impressed by these cables he wants 3 more. I told him to post his impressions
as he had tried a lot of sub 200.00 cables
and said these where the best so far.

Jun 19, 2003 at 7:31 AM Post #12 of 13
Since we're talking Nordost here...anybody happen to hear their Quattro Fil? From the reviews I've read of it, that is one cable I'd still like to audition one day in my system.

Jun 19, 2003 at 7:51 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Since we're talking Nordost here...anybody happen to hear their Quattro Fil? From the reviews I've read of it, that is one cable I'd still like to audition one day in my system.

Nice resolution in the midband. top end is open albeit no organic or natural subtance.
lack in bass authority but fast sounding cables suited for systems with a warmish slant.
and like any Nordost cables, noise floor is higher than shielded cables which can be trouble for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back