Inexpensive DIY computer setup
Oct 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rauch

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've been lurking the forums for a while. (Ever since seeing the article about portable amplifiers on LifeHacker, actually.) I've been keen on upgrading my current computer setup in its entirety seeing as the veneer on my desk is starting to fade, peel, and bubble. Unfortunately, IKEA stuff can only last so long.

So, I'm currently drawing layouts/schematics/what-have-you for my new desk that I plan on making out of solid wood and staining. Although, before I can go any further, I need to decide on an audio setup to ensure I recognize them in the dimensions.... including the rather over-kill mousepad size.

I'm a big DIY'er and wouldn't mind putting everything together myself if it results in an excellent project. Money, unfortunately, is currently a big factor due to my current job, so I may have to spread out my purchasing over the course of a few weeks. I've read quite a few threads on here that reference more brands and models then I could have ever imagined existed. As a result, I decided to open a dedicated thread for my endeavors as well as advice and suggestions.

My overall goal is for a set of monitors that focus on clarity and soundstage, but also offer a decent SPL for my bedroom and enjoys putting out reasonable bass. I also wish to have the ability to use headphones (Sennheiser HD-555's) when needed: VOIP, gaming, late-night music/videos. Whether it's via an external switch or on-input is not a big deal. Also, I should note that it will be for primarily my laptop, so a USB DAC is most-likely in order? The onboard audio card isn't that great.. Good for an on-board, but nothing like the desktop varieties. The vertical stand for the notebook is yet another project on my rather large to-do list. Whether I build it into my desktop, or keep it mobile is yet another decision to make.

DIY isn't a must, it just gives me something else to look forward to do to relax after work.

I think I've covered just about every point that I can think of, and I look forward to any and all input from you all.

Thanks a lot!

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 6
Oct 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the links, I'll have a look.

I may not have been clear, and I apologize for that. I didn't mean DIY as in build the speaker itself; I was regarding more the enclosure that it's in. Building speakers seems like yet another mess to have to deal with! 
blink.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
By enclosure, you mean the box the components of the speaker installed in? 

Correct. If, in fact, it results in a better sounding product for a better price.

I recall coming across a few user made boxes with speakers like Dayton and other varieties from places like Parts-Express.

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 6
Good. Then we meant the same thing about speaker building.  
smile.gif

The enclosure specifications need to be optimized for the components. So yeah. Your best bet is to talk to the DIY communities. You'll be able to find exact plans for the enclosure that match  components for passive speakers to fit your budget. If you are thinking active monitors, I haven't seen those, but I haven't read around in those communities that much. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back