Inexpensive decent active monitors?
Jul 19, 2009 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys I'd like a pair of inexpensive ($150-$200) and still decent active monitors to take to my college dorm. What do you recommend? Nothing with a subwoofer, just a pair of 2.0 active monitors.

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 6
Jul 19, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 6
Even at full price the A2s are a bargain.
But Google to see what coupons are available.

(Check to see if MW09 still works -- that's the best discount I've seen.)

Regular shipping at Audioengine is free, making your purchase an even better deal.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 6
Keep in mind that the studio style powered monitors don't have a convenient volume knob. They have an individual volume knob on the back of each speaker that is intended to be used to set a reference level and not for regular volume adjustment of the speakers. So you'll need some sort of external volume control setup from a mixer, monitor control station, pre-amp, passive volume knob, or similar. You can also use the volume control in the OS if you're using a computer as source, but that is a hassle and you have to worry about the volume getting accidentally bumped up to 100% which could blow you out of the room with loudness.

Used KRK 5" monitors would be a good choice to consider. KRK monitors are front ported which make for easier and more flexible placement. Rear ported monitors don't like being placed too close to a rear wall or being placed in a corner on a desk.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 6
The A2s are front-ported speakers; mine are on a windowsill just above my desk, almost close enough to touch the windows.

Also consider the new A2 stands for $30; made a noticeable difference in my system.

Don't forget the coupon.

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 6
I want the A2s but where do I order them to use this MW09 discount code?

EDIT:
Ok I ordered them. MW09 didn't work but I found one called COVERTEN that shaved off $20 so I went ahead and ordered with free ground shipping
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back