Inexpensive DAC for android HT system (Android set top box -> DAC -> amp -> speakers)
Sep 16, 2013 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sela

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a relatively inexpensive DAC to connect my android-based set-top box to my speakers.

The configuration is going to be:
G-Box Midnight Slav -> DAC -> Emotiva Mini-X A-100 amp -> Paradigm reference studio 20 speakers

The G-Box Midnight Slav is an android based set-top box running XBMC. It got coaxial and optical S/PDIF outputs, and it got USB connections too, so I guess it should be possible to configure it to use a USB DAC too.

I would like to have a DAC which is as cheap as possible without being the weakest link in my system. I don't have a specific budget, but I assume it should be something in the range of 100-200 USD. What would be a reasonable DAC for this setup? Schiit Modi? ODAC? Something else? Maybe there are some cheaper options and some of those annonmous Chinese  DACs on Ebay are actually good enough for such system?

Additionally, is there any significance to the way I'm connecting the DAC to the box? Assuming I could use USB audio, is there any advantage for using a DAC supporting coaxial or optical digital connection instead?

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 7
  I am looking for a relatively inexpensive DAC to connect my android-based set-top box to my speakers.

The configuration is going to be:
G-Box Midnight Slav -> DAC -> Emotiva Mini-X A-100 amp -> Paradigm reference studio 20 speakers

The G-Box Midnight Slav is an android based set-top box running XBMC. It got coaxial and optical S/PDIF outputs, and it got USB connections too, so I guess it should be possible to configure it to use a USB DAC too.

I would like to have a DAC which is as cheap as possible without being the weakest link in my system. I don't have a specific budget, but I assume it should be something in the range of 100-200 USD. What would be a reasonable DAC for this setup? Schiit Modi? ODAC? Something else? Maybe there are some cheaper options and some of those annonmous Chinese  DACs on Ebay are actually good enough for such system?

Additionally, is there any significance to the way I'm connecting the DAC to the box? Assuming I could use USB audio, is there any advantage for using a DAC supporting coaxial or optical digital connection instead?

The Schiit Modi USB DAC should be a good quality for the price.
For music audio (Audio CD), I doubt the S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) connects would offer any improvement over USB.

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks!

I'm getting this android box tomorrow, and I'll have to make sure that it does work with USB audio, and if it does, I think I'll get that Schiit for it.

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 7
I played with the G-Box a bit, but I couldn't figure out how to enable USB audio on this one yet. So I'm looking for a DAC with S/PDIF support.

How about getting a used V-DAC (first gen)? It seems like I can buy it for around the same price as a new Schiit Modi, and it supports optical and coaxial inputs too.

How does it compares to the Modi and odac? I've found a huge thread about it, but couldn't find a direct comparison to any of the budget DACs sold today.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 7

I played with the G-Box a bit, but I couldn't figure out how to enable USB audio on this one yet. So I'm looking for a DAC with S/PDIF support.

I don't think the problem is the Android, but XBMC. I have XBMC on my laptop for movies, and it does NOT  support USB audio output. It doesn't happen automatically through Windows even with the DAC running prior to launching XBMC, and neither is it in the manual sound options. Android version might be similar given XBMC is first and foremost a video player, meaning high-res surround that doesn't go through USB. Yes, play it safe and get a DAC that supports SPDIF.

How about getting a used V-DAC (first gen)? It seems like I can buy it for around the same price as a new Schiit Modi, and it supports optical and coaxial inputs too.

Based on reviews it's a good option, but personally I haven't really encountered a CS439x DAC or CDP that I really liked. I know implementation matters too but I think my ears do too, and I'd have to admit I'm not a fan regardless of Marantz' commercial success with them. Then again, for about $100, even I'd concede that's a great bargain to get your system up and running.

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 7

I don't think the problem is the Android, but XBMC. I have XBMC on my laptop for movies, and it does NOT  support USB audio output. It doesn't happen automatically through Windows even with the DAC running prior to launching XBMC, and neither is it in the manual sound options. Android version might be similar given XBMC is first and foremost a video player, meaning high-res surround that doesn't go through USB. Yes, play it safe and get a DAC that supports SPDIF.

Maybe the issue is a different version of XBMC, or different settings, but I got XBMC on my windows desktop too, and didn't have any problem connecting it to USB audio. There is an option in XBMC to specify the number of speakers. In my system it is configured to 2.0, and I do have USB audio working without any problem. Maybe if its 5.1 audio, it won't support USB. My system is stereo anyway, so I don't need surround.

The bigger issue is that android doesn't seem to have built in support for USB audio, for any application. I've read in some places that it should be possible to add support by adding the USB audio module manually, but I couldn't figure out how to do it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Based on reviews it's a good option, but personally I haven't really encountered a CS439x DAC or CDP that I really liked. I know implementation matters too but I think my ears do too, and I'd have to admit I'm not a fan regardless of Marantz' commercial success with them. Then again, for about $100, even I'd concede that's a great bargain to get your system up and running. 

Well, I just bought a used V-DAC from ebay before reading your comment (100$+shipping). It does seem to get pretty good reviews, so I hope I'll enjoy it. Waiting for it to arrive in a few days.

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 7
Originally Posted by sela /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe the issue is a different version of XBMC, or different settings, but I got XBMC on my windows desktop too, and didn't have any problem connecting it to USB audio. There is an option in XBMC to specify the number of speakers. In my system it is configured to 2.0, and I do have USB audio working without any problem. Maybe if its 5.1 audio, it won't support USB. My system is stereo anyway, so I don't need surround.

Maybe. I just checked and I do have the latest version, also on my desktop. Still no go for USB
confused.gif

The bigger issue is that android doesn't seem to have built in support for USB audio, for any application. I've read in some places that it should be possible to add support by adding the USB audio module manually, but I couldn't figure out how to do it yet.

It depends on the Android version and the manufacturer of the device. It was added in 4.1 after it was raised by audio forums and got Google's attention, but manufacturers either have the wrong hardware (ie some devices on Jellybean might still use that new kind of USB chip that essentially makes the Android device the slave device) or they tinker around with the software and remove USB audio (worse with phones where carriers tinker with it too, and unsubsidized but native Android-run phones can cost more than iPhones on Amazon).

Quote:

Well, I just bought a used V-DAC from ebay before reading your comment (100$+shipping). It does seem to get pretty good reviews, so I hope I'll enjoy it. Waiting for it to arrive in a few days.

To be fair, from a technical standpoint it might have a lot more to do with how manufacturers "flavor" the sound through the analog outputs than the CS439x chips being harder to implement. Also, they probably just don't do as well with my HD600. In any case, just listen well to where the drums are - the ones I've tried put them all over around the outside of my head and made the other instruments even more congested by comparison. Plus I've never heard a Musical fidelity I didn't like (I never listened to the V-Can though, and a lot of the reviews cite too much gain on that) at least not until price is factored in, so they probably got the output stage on the V-DAC right.

*although this is very likely due to the circuit a lot more than the CS4398 - USB input uses the 5v bus to power the digital section, leaving the 19v PSU to power the analog output, and does the same thing as using a 24v PSU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back