inexpensive cd player with headphone out?
Apr 12, 2006 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

100+ Head-Fier
Are there any inexpensive cd player's that have a good headphone out? I would only use it for CD's, but what are all those other things, like SACD, Redbook, HDCD, and DVD-A?? So, I'm looking to spend under $200 if thats possible, but if it's not, could you please tell me the minimum price I would need to spend to get something decent? Thanks!

Apr 12, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 7
You could probably beat the headphone jack of any $200 CD players by getting the Sony CE595 (around $100) and a $100 amp (like a PIMETA from eBay or one of the Portaphile or Z-Audio models).

Heck, even a cheaper solution like a $50 Toshiba DVD player might sound great when hooked upto a dedicated amp...like a Headroom Total Airhead.

Redbook = normal audio CD
A search on Wikipedia will turn up all you need to know about SACD, DVD-Audio, HDCD, etc.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 7
I think the better way to go is to get an inexpesive CD player and an inexpensive amplifier.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 7
I have a Sony 7700 DVD player that has a strong headphone jack. It drives the HD600/HD650 easily. In a pinch, I do listen to this setup and don't feel like I'm missing a whole lot. Pretty dynamic but maybe not the most resolving (good enough for me), but also a cleaner setup if you need (no ICs).

Apr 13, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 7
Ok, so I think $250 should be the limit, so you think a sony CE595 and like a $150 amp would be a decent source?

I was also looking at the Marantz CC4300 ($250), does anyone know anything about it? It already has a headphone out, but I don't know if its any good, can someone tell me about it? Thanks

Apr 13, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 7
Redbook is the format that CDs are in. CDs = Redbook. SACD is Super Audio CD and is said to offer superior sound quality to CD. Even if SACD is not superior to CD in sound quality the mastering and so on for SACDs is generally better so the SACD ends up sounding better anyway.

I believe the others are other formats that are supposed to be > CD.

Apr 15, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 7
I like the original question!

Are there any good CD players at a reasonable price with an acceptable headphone output for those of us who have a "good" set of cans and enjoy the portability and convenience of being able to plug them into a variety of sources such as an HT receiver phone jack, or a PCDP phone jack, or a plain ol' CD player phone jack when the desire materializes, and still get a reasonably good sound without the hassle and expense of an amp?

I mean, shucks, my cans(MS-1) only cost 100 bucks and I had enough trouble justifying that with the little Lady! Imagine telling her that I need that much or more for an amp which may or may not even "seem" to make a difference?!

Beyond that.....

My wallet insists on being taken seriously!!
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back