Inexpensive cables on the hd580/600. (hd650 vs hd600 stock cables)
Jan 20, 2010 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
For people that have both cables and have heard them side by side, which one do you prefer and why?

Let me start by saying that for me, it depends on the system's synergy. The general difference that I find in both are that the stock cables are more natural sounding although slightly less "whole" sounding than the hd650 cables when used on my hd580s. Depending on the crossfeed software/amp/source I use, my preferences may sway from one to the other.

I know its not really a valid test but just for the heck of it I did a comparison of the cables out of the ipods headphone jack. The hd650 cable shows the slowness of my hd580s sound more and drowns out the mids a little. If I were to pick a winner when driven unamped out of the ipod, I'd choose the Stock Cable!
tongue_smile.gif

Out of my LD mk2 and valab dac, it depends on the crossfeed circuit I'm using as to which cable I prefer.

I will update this thread when I get my uDac and see what I think of both cables out of its Headphone jack too.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 3
I am not satisfied with each of the HD600 or the HD650 cable, for my HD600s.

The stock HD600 cable sound brighter too me, and almost sibillant.

The HD650 sounds darker,fuller, it has a rounder bass, but a fair amount  less trebble.

I wish i had a mix of both... im tempted to buy the Cardas cable, but if it sounds even darker than the HD650 cable id be dissapointed. Dont want to take a 200 bucks risk though.

At the moment im using the HD650 cable though, becuase the sibillance in the 600 cable is slightly too much for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back