Inexpensive big bass Headphones
May 2, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your signature certainly does illustrate that SQ is way way down on your list of headphone requirements, and booming overblown muddy bass is your preference.
However, if it makes you happy then stay the course.
tongue.gif

Denon AH-C710's are anything but muddy, they are a highly recommended IEM by quite a few people on this site. Yes, I like bass, but saying my preference is muddy is quite ignorant. If I didn't care about quality sound at all I would not have invested $105 in the Denons and I would have gotten a pair of CX300's instead, Of course I'd rather have quality bass over muddy bass, but the fact is, high quantity and quality together will not come in a $70 Headphone.

Besides that, what I own is not necessarily a preference when your 17 with not a lot of money to throw around.

and again, most of those choices were influenced in the high school setting because "word is" that skullcandy is actually "good"...

I never said quality did not matter, I said that the SQ doesn't have to be spectacular, there is quite a difference. Am I wrong in assuming that, in order to get the quantity of bass I want, while asking for substantial quality, will cost me well over $100? I am fairly sure this is an accurate statement.

That said, make any assumption you wish. I would not assume a teacher, of all people, would have such ignorance in these circumstances.

I'd like heavier sound Headphones because metal sounds quite sadly without it. Anything from Iron Maiden/Judas Priest to Godsmack/Disturbed to Behemoth/Cannibal Corpse, they all need good bass impact to sound the way they should, especially Godsmack and Drowning Pool.

May 2, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #17 of 33
I must say I'm glad someone mentioned the JVC HARX series...I have yet to try the 900's...but considering picking up a set just to try them out...but the 700's impressed the hell outta me. They have serious punch, even unmodded...the dissapointment is that the notes they hit so hard on don't have the "low-ness" sound to them. My HA-DX3's and Denon D2000's have the low notes, and the 2000's have more hit than the DX3's, where if the 700's just had the low notes right I'd sacrifice some hit and would've saved $100's and been content aside from long-term comfort.

I do like how tight the 700's are, but the Denons do and should blow them out of the water in that respect at least with my ears and setups I couldn't be happier. Though it impresses me still how well a $33 pair of headphones totally competes with my $200+ headphones, but I paid that extra $170 just for the right sound I wanted...in the small areas that are only noticeable after you notice what you really are looking for when listening to music, movies or games. I'd say start with the 700's and go from there in all honesty...it worked out well for me...and now I can mod the hell out of my 700's and not feel too bad about it...and if things go really well and I can get the sound and comfort I want...I will sell my DX3's and D2000's and call it a day. If not..oh well...they're an amazing backup set to say the least. I still hook them up and listen in amazement to how well they truly do sound for what they are and how much bass they can produce in both notes and blending your brains. I've heard the XB700's have a ton of bass...but if you want a lot of bass you need strong mids and highs...at least imo..you can't lose the other two horridly for one. The 700's would shake on my head, yet with just a little EQ I had the rest tuned in, from a PC sound card (X-Fi Extreme Music and Auzen Forte).

May 2, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #19 of 33
Thank you for the informative post!

However, when you say start with the 700's I assume you are talking JVC HA RX700's correct? Not the Sony MDR XB700. I ask because I am not 100% sure why I cannot find much on the JVC's, is that model discontinued?

May 2, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bannedman3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH-m50s or AKG k181DJ's

I'm fairly sure both of those are doubled my price range...

May 2, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the informative post!

However, when you say start with the 700's I assume you are talking JVC HA RX700's correct? Not the Sony MDR XB700. I ask because I am not 100% sure why I cannot find much on the JVC's, is that model discontinued?

Yep I mean the HA-RX700's.

Here's a few links that have them for sale:

JVC HA-RX700 Stereo Headphone - HARX700 - Buy.com

Amazon.com: JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone: Electronics

JVC USA Store - HA-RX700 - Full-size headphones

Lowest Price: $33.97 on JVC HA-RX700 Full-Size Headphones (HARX700)

I went Buy.com, and they showed up sooner than expected at the same price I paid a year ago. They're worth every penny, and definitely a good investment for someone that wants bass at an affordable price. Granted you feel more of the lower notes than you hear with these...overall they're solid and I could never part with mine even if I was offered $40-50 right now...I'd say no. Though the felt mod and earpad foam mod helped out to clear up the highs, add comfort and add some more "lowness" and soundstage was pretty cool, quick and cheap to do and totall worth it...even without mods these are an impressive set of 'phones for the price to say the least. The HARX900's from what I hear, hit less but have a lower bass..but at around 2X the price that and a slightly larger sound stage are what you get fwir. I still want to try them for myself though..but tough to justify with a pair of D2000's on my dome right now lol. I'd still say try the 700's, start to figure out what you do and don't like about them. A good sound card with a decent EQ makes a world of difference...I tried onboard sound cards...even with EQ...bleh compared to a 5+ year old X-Fi with it's EQ...and then the Auzen Forte with it's integrated headphone amp plus the Creative X-Fi software and EQ...I am still impressed as hell. Still glad I got em'...and they do hit harder than the D2000's...but the D2000's hit hard enough and have the lower notes to where I still prefer the D2000's...but truly worth a +$170 price hike? Not unless you really, really, really gotta have it and wanna spend money for a small increase in what it provides granted if that's what you want.

beerchug.gif

May 2, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #22 of 33
Ok, on a new route, I figured I'd check the shipping charge at JR.com, figuring heck, it can't be that much... wow was I wrong, sure, the Headphones are only $80, but they wanna charge $45 for shipping em. Looks like this is not going to happen any time soon... brutal lol.

anything I can find cheaper in-store like future shop or something with big bass that won't kill me? I can't believe the outrageous shipping cost for some headphones...

May 2, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep I mean the HA-RX700's.

Here's a few links that have them for sale:

JVC HA-RX700 Stereo Headphone - HARX700 - Buy.com

Amazon.com: JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone: Electronics

JVC USA Store - HA-RX700 - Full-size headphones

Lowest Price: $33.97 on JVC HA-RX700 Full-Size Headphones (HARX700)

I went Buy.com, and they showed up sooner than expected at the same price I paid a year ago. They're worth every penny, and definitely a good investment for someone that wants bass at an affordable price. Granted you feel more of the lower notes than you hear with these...overall they're solid and I could never part with mine even if I was offered $40-50 right now...I'd say no. Though the felt mod and earpad foam mod helped out to clear up the highs, add comfort and add some more "lowness" and soundstage was pretty cool, quick and cheap to do and totall worth it...even without mods these are an impressive set of 'phones for the price to say the least. The HARX900's from what I hear, hit less but have a lower bass..but at around 2X the price that and a slightly larger sound stage are what you get fwir. I still want to try them for myself though..but tough to justify with a pair of D2000's on my dome right now lol. I'd still say try the 700's, start to figure out what you do and don't like about them. A good sound card with a decent EQ makes a world of difference...I tried onboard sound cards...even with EQ...bleh compared to a 5+ year old X-Fi with it's EQ...and then the Auzen Forte with it's integrated headphone amp plus the Creative X-Fi software and EQ...I am still impressed as hell. Still glad I got em'...and they do hit harder than the D2000's...but the D2000's hit hard enough and have the lower notes to where I still prefer the D2000's...but truly worth a +$170 price hike? Not unless you really, really, really gotta have it and wanna spend money for a small increase in what it provides granted if that's what you want.

beerchug.gif

Thanks a ton, I'll look into these for sure, hopefully shipping doesn't cost more then the headphones do :p

Oh, I should mention I live in Canada if it wasn't noticed.

May 2, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

I'm fairly sure both of those are doubled my price range...

Audio Technica ATH-M50 is 90$ on ebay.

And it is one of the best headphones in this price range today.

May 2, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #25 of 33
I wish headphones were as cheap here in Finland, ATH-M50 costs 145 - 150 EUR (paid 145 incl shipping for mine), Sony XB700 runs for 99 EUR - 110 for example. That's quite a difference compared to $90 and $70 respectively!
mad.gif

May 2, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Thanks a ton, I'll look into these for sure, hopefully shipping doesn't cost more then the headphones do :p

Oh, I should mention I live in Canada if it wasn't noticed.

Well I live in Missoula,Montana, and maybe if they charge too much we could work something out to get ya the headphones without killing your bank account. Keep us posted on what you find out. I don't know what shipping would be or where in Canada you're at...but I'm only about 4 hours from the border to BC.

Hope one of those links with the cheaper prices can also get you cheap or free shipping though!

May 2, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteBear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If sound quality means something (not only bass quantity) Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is hard to beat.

As an M50 lover, I would say the Shure SRH750 DJ beats it. Just by a little.

May 2, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Hey guys, title says it all, I would like to avoid spending anything over $70 and I want big bass, as I have IEM's for balanced sound and I want Headphones to satisfy my head shaking urges
L3000.gif

Anyways, I've been looking at the Sony MDRXB500 at JR.com for $49.99, how is the bass quantity on this model? Is there any other models I would be better off with when it comes to bass quantity for the money?

also, I might be willing to spend the extra $30 on the XB700 if there is a significant difference in bass quantity.

Get the XB700.

If you have the extra cash, I would also recommend you the following:

Beyerdynamic DT770
Audio-Technica M50
AKG K181
Denon D1001 (I think this is a common bass can, correct me if I'm wrong)

There are obviously many, many more to choose from, but these are popular "bassesque" choices.

May 2, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #29 of 33
I've never had the chance to listen to M50, so I cannot comment on that, but people here seem to like it very much.

I'm a metal listener too and from time to time I like to put on a very bass heavy headphone just for the fun of feeling some raw bass power out of my tunes. From the ones I own the funniest and bass heaviest are the K518DJ (with the inner foam removed), followed by Panasonic HTX7, which is more balanced but suffers from some sibilance.
A couple of months ago I've tried XB700, bought by a friend of mine who is a techno/trance fan. Listening to trance was an experience with that deep huge bass, but I've played last Nile album and some Dillinger Escape Plan songs too and in a word they were unlistenable. XB700 are just too "slow" for that and the more complex parts just sounded like a mess.

K518DJ, even if they can put out an outrageous amount of sub-woof style bass and are really far from being "metal" headphones, IMHO are still a better choice for metal between the two.

Hope this helps

Regards
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back