Inexpensive big bass Headphones
May 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Gage

Head-Fier
Hey guys, title says it all, I would like to avoid spending anything over $70 and I want big bass, as I have IEM's for balanced sound and I want Headphones to satisfy my head shaking urges
L3000.gif

Anyways, I've been looking at the Sony MDRXB500 at JR.com for $49.99, how is the bass quantity on this model? Is there any other models I would be better off with when it comes to bass quantity for the money?

also, I might be willing to spend the extra $30 on the XB700 if there is a significant difference in bass quantity.

May 1, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 33
Save up $10 more and get the XB700s. TRUST ME. They kill the XB500s in bass, and are still clear.

May 1, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Save up $10 more and get the XB700s. TRUST ME. They kill the XB500s in bass, and are still clear.

It's not that I don't have the money, Income tax should be coming soon, just didn't know if it was worth it to go higher, but maybe I will.

Open to all suggestions, I'm not partial to sony if there is something better out there, but as of right now the Sony BX700's are the choice.

I have to clarify though, I own the Sony XD200's and the bass is much to tiny for me, I'm looking for a significantly higher quantity of bass then them. I do expect the XB700's to have a lot more so I'm not to concerned.

EDIT:
Hey, I'm not above buying Skullcandy if they give me more bass then the Sony XB700...

May 1, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 33
I had the XB500's for a (very short) while. The bass was indeed huge but basically drowned out absolutely everything else. I wouldn't recommend them unless bass is literally all you want to hear.

They also had this weird pressure thing going on that gave me a horrible sickly headache after wearing them for a while.

May 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 33
Looks like you're into Skullcandy. The skullcrushers have headaches of bass.

May 1, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like you're into Skullcandy. The skullcrushers have headaches of bass.

no, not into skullcandy, just a previously misinformed teenager therefore I still have em, I don't mind there odd sound sig now and again though.

May 1, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 33
If sound quality means something (not only bass quantity) Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is hard to beat.

May 1, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 33
I had recommended Sennheiser HD 212 Pros, these are very inexpensive 40~$50 sth and has subwoofer type of bass (needs a bit EQing to get to that level in quantity ofc). Poor mids and highs though if driven from a poor source (I'm using Audigy & kX Audio drivers which improves the quality of mids and highs a lot). About the same quantity of bass as AKG K 81 or 518 DJs but goes deeper and softer/more club-like bass and it's bassier than ATH-M50 and Beyer DT 770 Pro, haven't had the chance to try XB700's yet though.

May 2, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteBear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If sound quality means something (not only bass quantity) Audio-Technica ATH-M50 is hard to beat.

A bit I guess, but in all honesty whenever I want to listen to music with a good quality I use my C710's, usually the only time I want to use full headphones is to feel the rumbling powerful bass impact

May 2, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteBear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A bit I guess, but in all honesty whenever I want to listen to music with a good quality I use my C710's, usually the only time I want to use full headphones is to feel the rumbling powerful bass impact, that said I don't want headphones that sound like a single note of mud either, but the SQ doesn't have to be spectacular.

May 2, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 33
i have had the xb700 and wasnt impressed. the jvc harx900 has beautiful big bass, much superior to the xb700 imo

May 2, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit I guess, but in all honesty whenever I want to listen to music with a good quality I use my C710's, usually the only time I want to use full headphones is to feel the rumbling powerful bass impact, that said I don't want headphones that sound like a single note of mud either, but the SQ doesn't have to be spectacular.

Your signature certainly does illustrate that SQ is way way down on your list of headphone requirements, and booming overblown muddy bass is your preference.
However, if it makes you happy then stay the course.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back