Inexpensive amp for Sennheiser 580's
May 31, 2004 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shade

New Head-Fier
I am requesting suggestions for an inexpensive headphone amp, with the following specifications:

1) they will be used to drive a pair of Sennheiser 580s

2) the sources will be a laptop computer, a home stereo system, and possibly even a portable CD player.

3) it should be fairly small - the user has 2 residences, and will be bringing the amp across the US twice a year. However it doesn't need to be pocket sized.

4) it should be fairly inexpensive - under $200. This is a backup audio system so I'm not looking for the highest quality...

Based on my research, I'm finding that Headroom's AirHead or BitHead might not drive Sennheiser 580s, nor will the Creek OBH-11. Am I wrong about the AirHead or BitHead? Will the HeadSave HomeVibe version work? any other ideas?

As always, I appreciate everyone's advice!

May 31, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 10
Rega Ear. They sound great with the Senns. they are around your price range, light and small, well made, and I repeat...they sound great with the Senns.
600smile.gif

May 31, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Rega Ear. They sound great with the Senns. they are around your price range, light and small, well made, and I repeat...they sound great with the Senns.
600smile.gif

There arent a lot of choices for this price other than some good diy type amps or diy amps some builders will build you . The tube amp buy thread is something you might check out. That amp is in your price range but I dont know how the sound quality would compare. The Rega is a well regarded and safer choice IMO.

May 31, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 10
Check the amplification for sale forum here... I'm selling something myself that fits what you're looking for (size-wise especially), although you could do better for more money. Lots of amps posted there right now.

Jun 1, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 10
Shade,

According to a review by fellow headfier Tuberoller the Rega Ear was specifically voiced with the HD 580/600s by Rega engineers. This has been confirmed by other headfiers with insider access to Rega staff. Sinergy is superb.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 10
I have a very similiar setup at work. I had MisterX make me a maxed out Pimeta (integrated powersupply, crossfeed, RCA out's with toggle switch).

I had been using a friend's HeadRoom Supreme and to be perfectly honest I prefer the sound of my new Pimeta.

Because of my job I have to switch between headphones and my PC speakers several times a day. Now with a flip of the toggle switch I can route the signal from my headphone amp to the RCA outs to my PC speakers.

Total to me with shipping was $234.00 and worth every penny.

-Ron

Jun 2, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shade
Based on my research, I'm finding that Headroom's AirHead or BitHead might not drive Sennheiser 580s, nor will the Creek OBH-11. Am I wrong about the AirHead or BitHead? Will the HeadSave HomeVibe version work? any other ideas?

As always, I appreciate everyone's advice!

The Creek OBH-11 drives HD580s OK, but in my opinion doesn't sound very good... it's an older design, and not a very good one.

The Headsave Home Vibe will indeed work, and very well, if you wanted to give that a try. It's very tiny though, and has a minijack on it. Unless you requested a larger case and jack from Norm, you'd be limited forever to the HD580 stock cable unless you used an adapter. If you decide to try it, make sure to let Norm know it's for a pair of HD580s.

Jun 3, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 10
I know a couple of people with Rega Ears and Senn HD580 and they havent had a bad word said against them. These people tend like a lively sound, so it sounds like the Rega Ear wakes them up a bit.

Jun 3, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #10 of 10
Griffin Powerwave ($100) with an upgraded PSU (Pyramid 12V $20) Used through the RCA's in it sounds great with the Senn 580's. Very small, very powerful as it has speaker outs too, and works great with laptops. It also has usb in and out. I have this setup and it's an awesome little package.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back