Industrial Music
Jul 17, 2011 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Flounderman

New Head-Fier
Are there any fans of industrial music here? I'm a big fan of every form of it. From SPK to Skinny Puppy to Nine Inch Nails to modern EBM style.  Here's a few of my favorite songs in the genre.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #5 of 21
Oh yes indeed I love Industrial.
Although I primarily love the original form of industrial, and I actually dislike EBM
My favorites are definitely Coil, SPK, Merzbow, KMFDM, Laibach, NIN, Tweaker.
Other than that I also love Mindless Self Indulgence and Dr. Steel, although those are on the border line of what you'd call industrial.

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
Oh yes indeed I love Industrial.
Although I primarily love the original form of industrial, and I actually dislike EBM
My favorites are definitely Coil, SPK, Merzbow, KMFDM, Laibach, NIN, Tweaker.
Other than that I also love Mindless Self Indulgence and Dr. Steel, although those are on the border line of what you'd call industrial.

MSI has industrial elements but they arent strictly industrial. Their first few albums had elements of jungle and industrial fused into punk. Though their first self titled EP was definitely industrial. Very generic derivative industrial, but fun to listen to. Coil is great, I love those guys. Dr Steel is cool too, he fits in hip hop beats into industrial which is a very cool thing. If you like that you should check out Saul Williams' album with Nine Inch Nails.  Merzbow isnt always industrial, he kinda fits more into general noise. But his merzbient albums have a lot of industrial elements to them. They reminds me a lot of Chu Ishikawa, who I love. He's one of the very few industrial musicians in japan and one of the best in the genre.  

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 21
MSI has industrial elements but they arent strictly industrial. Their first few albums had elements of jungle and industrial fused into punk. Though their first self titled EP was definitely industrial. Very generic derivative industrial, but fun to listen to. Coil is great, I love those guys. Dr Steel is cool too, he fits in hip hop beats into industrial which is a very cool thing. If you like that you should check out Saul Williams' album with Nine Inch Nails.  Merzbow isnt always industrial, he kinda fits more into general noise. But his merzbient albums have a lot of industrial elements to them. They reminds me a lot of Chu Ishikawa, who I love. He's one of the very few industrial musicians in japan and one of the best in the genre.  

I saw the link before reading your post. I love Chu Ishikawa, I even love him so much I watched the corresponding movies just for their sound tracks. (Tip: don't do this for they are terrible)
I find it weird that there are so few plays of this guy on Last.FM, since many people seem to appreciate his art.

I think his best works, in ranked order, are;
1. Tetsuo I & II
2. Tetsuo the Bullet Man
3. Bullet Ballet
4. Nightmare Detective
5. Tokyo Fist

The other ones are 'meh'

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 21
I found the Tetsuo movies to be fascinating works of Body Horror but hey, most people aren't into that. Horror that isn't slasher flicks or pg13 suspense is a very niche genre. But yeah he's good. I've only heard his work for the Tetsuo movies, I'll have to look into his other music. I have the original versions of the Tetsuo 1+2 music but its only 128kbps which sucks. I want to buy it and rip it as a higher bitrate but its impossible to find the right version of the soundtrack. There's like, five versions and the one I want is rare as hell. Also Nine Inch Nails did a track for the third Tetsuo movie very similar to his work and I loved it. I thought it was his best song since the stuff on Year Zero. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 21
2 weeks ago, the podcast Sound Opinions had a show about Wax Trax, a major industrial label.  Featured is an interview with Chris Conelly (Ministry, Revolting Cocks, Pigface, PTP, KMFDM, Acid Horse) and Paul Barker (Ministry, Revolting Cocks, Pigface, PTP, Lard).
http://www.soundopinions.org/shownotes/2011/070811/shownotes.html
download link: http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/audio.soundopinions.org/podcasts/sooppodshow293.mp3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back