Indukti - S.U.S.A.R. (for fans of Tool, Red/Discipline-era King Crimson, etc)...
May 16, 2007 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

asmox

Headphoneus Supremus
Another recent discovery of mine... quite good. Review I wrote for Metal Archives -

__

Indukti cite Tool, Neurosis, and King Crimson as primary influences. That bit of information alone should either have you screaming bloody murder or crying tears of bliss... or it might leave you with a blank expression on your face, which is rather unlikely since you've somehow managed to find your way to this album.

I happen to love all three of the above bands, but I can't say that Indukti really sound like any of them. Certainly, there are some lines that can be drawn - the echoing, chiming, harmonically complex clean guitars give off some semblance of 80's-era King Crimson; the sinuous and rather disorienting effect where bass and guitar bounce between overlapping time signatures at the lower end of the fretboard is employed occasionally and is decidedly reminiscent of Tool (think the introductory and middle sections of Tool's "46 & 2" if you're not sure what effect I'm trying to describe); and I suppose some of the more ambient sections as well as the noisier parts could sort of be compared to something that Neurosis has done at one point or another, but even that seems like a stretch in my eyes - I don't find much of a resemblance at all between Indukti and Neurosis. Regardless, the big picture produced by Indukti on this album is much, much more than the sum of its parts.

Firstly, everything is accentuated by violin (another allusion to King Crimson, I suppose) - or almost everything. Rather than just providing flourishes here and there for mood and effect, Ewa Jablonska is a full-fledged and prominent member of the band and the music, though she does have a tendency to fade away throughout some of the heavier portions of the album. She coats the overall sound with a smooth, organic warmth and provides something of an ethnic Eastern European flavor. She also creates some striking aural dichotomies, such as in songs like "No. 11812" and "No. 11811", where dark aggression is punctuated by sublime violin interplay.

Secondly, there's a harp played by guest Anna Faber. I've never been much of a harp fan, but I mostly attribute that to lack of exposure. Hearing it in use on this album has opened my eyes, so to speak. It's simply beautiful. The sounds that emanate from those gently plucked strings momentarily take you away to some celestial, enchanted utopia. So absolutely peaceful, tranquil, and mysterious that you feel genuine regret at being rudely pulled away by the arrival of the remainder of the band. Unfortunately, these moments of blissful harping are generally found only at the beginning or the end of a given song. There is a section in the middle of the song "Uluru" which sees the harp come together with the rest of the band for a fairly stunning, if rather brief, instrumental portion... but that's the only time you'll hear the harp in any prominent role together with the band. For the most part, Anna only performs solo pieces here and there - though the transition that she makes from "Cold Inside... I" to "No. 11812" is especially magnificent, and she does mingle with the band for a bit there, as well.

Thirdly, this is mostly instrumental. There are some vocals performed by guest Mariusz Duda of Riverside - he adds some wordless, tribal-esque vocal melodies on opener "Freder", and takes on more straightforward vocal duties on "Cold Inside" and "Shade" - but the majority of the album lacks any kind of vocal presence. I can't say whether this is overly positive or negative. The instrumental tracks are definitely more impressive from a songwriting and creative point of view, as well as in terms of technicality, but the vocal performances are quite strong and come across as very moving and soulful.

The remainder of the band is solid. Twin guitars provide a thick sound, but not one that's too overbearing. The heavier distorted portions are brought forward with a very crisp production that actually kind of sucks out some of the heaviness, opting instead for a more polished presentation (still quite heavy, though). The clean portions are also incredibly crisp and rich. There isn't much in the way of solos or leads... most of the guitar work centers around layers of clean arpeggiated chords and mid-tempo riffing with focus on beautiful harmony. The bass is powerful and audible, throwing in stretches of droning pulses alongside slap techniques and occasional transitions from purely rhythmic backing to more melodic interactions. A mighty bass presence overall, and one that adds a welcome and noticeable warmth to the music. The drums are fairly technical and very active, plowing through metric changes and rhythmic permutations with ease while avoiding complete sterility and keeping things musical with flourishing cymbal work and a competent sense of synergy and dynamics. As a whole, the band does a great job of staying together as one and building off of each other as opposed to going off on wild tangents and indulging in solo spots. A very cohesive sound.

S.U.S.A.R. is a commendable album from this Polish band. At once heavy, tranquil, abrasive, warm, and mesmerizing. There are some great ideas throughout that don't get developed as much as I would have liked, but that's alright for a debut album and it leaves plenty of room for improvement on future releases. I have high hopes for Indukti's future.

May 16, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 6
nice writeup asmox, although i didnt have the same sentiments as you...

there are some moments of genius in this album, but also a lot of moments that make me cringe. I guess the problem is that when a band try to do that 'tool' sound, it always comes off sounding like another cheap knock-off, tool worship act. i cant help it, i just don't hear anything innovative or individual here, they sound exactly like an obvious mix of their peers. thankfully said peers are awesome bands, and combined with good musicianship and (thankfully) lack of vocals it makes the album quite listenable, at least for the first couple of times. i also would like to hear what these guys come up with in a few years, to see if they have matured their sound into something unique.
for me its a take it or leave it kind of thing, with a wealth of really awesome bands out there, id rather leave it and look elsewhere.

May 16, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 6
I had a similar impression, at first... more specifically, I had some trouble getting past the borderline silly Tool worship of the first track. That's easily the weakest song on there, though... and I wouldn't say the remainder of the album comes anywhere close to that kind of influences-worn-on-your-sleeve display.

Innovative? Not really. Not much these days is really innovative, but I like the slight deviations that this album offers, and I definitely think they develop some individuality throughout.

Besides, even though I don't really think Indukti sound like their influences in more than a passing manner, I've never been one to reprimand a band that sounds like other bands that I love. If you're ripping off a favorite band of mine, go ahead and rip them off - that's just more music for me to love
rs1smile.gif

May 16, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 6
i do know what you mean. by all standards its a good album, and i can appreciate that some people will really love it. its just that with the insane amount of music thats out there doing something different or even just really well, i don't think that Indukti are up to standard. when i Try to listen to S.U.S.A.R. i just end up turning it off in favor of a tool, king crimson or grails record. its not different enough to merit the time it takes to listen to for me. whilst i do agree that there is no such thing as a record free of influence, there is something to be said about the personality of a bands sound. Simply put, nothing grabbed me in that record, nothing about it (for me) has any re-playability. As much as it is a matter of taste, i do think its also got a lot to do with doing something that builds on influences, rather than to emulate. for me, they get a little to close to the line...

two examples of awesome bands;

Fredrick Thorndale's Special Defects, awesome awesome awesome album, by all means individual and unique, experimental, progressive and impressive throughout. a masterpiece album, however all the riffs are identical to meshuggah (although allowed because he is their guitarist) yet it never sounds like another meshuggah record.

Sleepytime Gorlilla Museum, Also an amazing band, a HELL of a lot of tangents can be drawn between this band and the work of mike patton, but the personality of the band takes it onto a new level, probably one of my all time favorite albums.

May 16, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 6
Yeah, absolutely.

I adore FT's Special Defects, as you can probably tell from my avatar. It's a monster of an album in every way and one of my all time favorites. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum is great as well... I don't listen to them as much as I used to, but they definitely have their own thing going (you should check out that Grindstone album I recommended in my other thread, if you haven't already... I think you'd like it).

However, I think it's a bad idea to flat out ignore the bands that don't go out of their way to be the most extreme, the weirdest, the most forward-thinking, the most experimental, and whatever else. I mean, I like a lot of bizarre stuff and I also draw the line with certain bands that are just atrociously uninteresting and derivative... there truly is too much outgoing music out there to waste time on trite rehashes... but - some bands, like Indukti, infuse enough interesting ideas into a familiar sound to make them worth listening to amidst all the profound and mind-warping stuff out there. Among other things, it keeps you from getting too jaded.

Anyway, agree to disagree I suppose. Your complaints are certainly valid, but these days I tend to just go by what sounds good as opposed to what's considered the most ridiculous and unique. I think Indukti achieve a fine balance of familiarity and individuality. I mean, come on... harp... haha. I don't think I've ever heard a harp in metal before. Maybe Haggard used a harp at some point... I can't recall.

May 16, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, there's no accounting for taste is there!
im gonna give it another listen with a more open mind. see what i still think of it afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back