Indie/alternative "Mumford and Sons" "Vampire Weekend"
Sep 4, 2010 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kernmac

1000+ Head-Fier

Two great early releases for me in 2010, Mumford and Sons "Sigh No More" and Vampire Weekend "Contra" have been spending a fair bit of time on my play list this year.  This led to the pursuit of further music from these artists, but atlas apart from Vampire Weekends self titled debut album, the cupboard is bare. 

Therefore I have been looking for "similar" music.  Now I know some will say that the two aren't that similar, well they are to me. Both are great listening anyway.

So this leads me to the below three CDs, all gems and with a similar feel to the above two.  They are all different in their own ways, but all brilliant and I think if you like Mumford and Vampire, then you will like them as well.

The Cat Empire have several other CDs out, however this, their latest one is the best IMO.

Angus and Julia Stone have one other CD and two EPs that are equally as good as well.

Sep 11, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 5
What you may still want to look at is the Mumford & Sons, Laura Marling & Dharohar Project EP (digital download only so far; this is the result of a tour of India, where they teamed up with a Rajasthani folk/pop music collective and ultimately recorded this ~20 minute EP, which I love to bits), as well as Laura Marling's current album I Speak Because I Can which also saw Marcus Mumford involved AFAIK (still on the must buy list here).

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 5
If you like Vampire Weekend, you may like Discovery "LP" It is Rostam Batmanglij of Vampire Weekend and Wes Miles of Ra Ra Riot. Ra Ra Riot "The Orchard just came out and I really like it.

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 5
the simplest thing is to enter your artist of choice into Pandora or Slacker, the radio will play songs their system thinks is similar to your choice. Some may not be the ones you like but generally I think they work fine for me. I use this method to discover artist I do know but may like.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 5
This is just me but i like both of those and i find that in a playlist that the artist ''Bombay Bicycle Club'' and ''bon iver'' seem to fit in well with ''mumford and sons'' and ''vampire weekend''. good luck with those and if you like some songs by them you may be interested in ''Ida Maria''.
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back