Indiana Jones 4 - who's seen it?
May 23, 2008 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

slowpogo

500+ Head-Fier
Just saw this today, and I'm curious what others think.

I love the other three movies, which were a really magical part of my childhood. So I was pretty damn excited about another Indy movie. It ended up being pretty decent.

Not great -- I'd probably rank it third in the series, behind Raiders and Last Crusade -- but nowhere near disgracing the series like the Star Wars prequels did. Harrison Ford looked great and was totally Indiana Jones...this was his best performance in several years. He's been phoning his performance in to bad movies, the last 10 years at least, and it's great to see him in his element and kicking some ass again.

The movie has some problems...all the characters besides Indy and Mutt were underwritten. Ray Winstone's character was pretty useless, really, and Karen Allen's return was wasted. She just didn't have much to do after the initial reunion with Indy. Still, good action, the computer imagery was well-done, and only a few times did it seem unnecessary (prairie dogs, monkeys).

Any fans out there, go and see it. Keep your expectations grounded, and you'll just have a good time seeing Indy in action again.

May 23, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 69
I'm a big fan of indy, and considering all poor remakes/ late sequels hollywood has been making these days, I might actually go see this one
wink.gif

thanks for the tip!

May 23, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even the positive reviews have been less than enthusiastic.

i'm going to pass.

Some of them. Go to Rotten Tomatoes...they've got like 130 positive reviews counted, and 28 negative ones, or something. The general consensus is it's pretty good.

Among the positive reviews, several totally love it, several think it's very good with reservations, and several think it's lukewarm. At least check out the varying opinions before you ditch it.

May 23, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 69
It wasn't bad. Essentially the entire script was ripped off of other adventure movies - the plot seemed to me to be a big-budget version of the made-for-TV "Macgyver: Treasure of Atlantis" with a hair of Cold War spy movie tossed in.

May 23, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #6 of 69
I fortunately just saw it on Googles dime.

Positives: It is the easily the most beautiful of the series. They found an interesting way of shocking the audience/story up through time, taking cultural shortcuts that work well (and establishing an alternative younger 'outsider' identity) . You don't miss Nazis for a second as Cate Blanchett as always is a pleasure to watch. After some reservations and not so successful speed cuts, you quickly accept Indys age and ability and enjoy him as older. 'Greatest hits' visual nods are a lot of fun and rarely get in the way.

Negatives: The suspension of disbelieve required is a bit larger this time around (I think though I'm no longer a child and not sure how you rank supernatural phenoms) and for a 'cliffhanger' I don't remember being on the edge of my seat once. Often when the theme was being played I thought 'this is where I'm supposed to be excited.' The Indy series has always worn its lifted references on the sleeve, but with so many other films copping Indy (especially the very poor mans National Treasure flicks recently) the climax felt really uninspired.

So as others have said, better than expected, but not terribly exciting. There are always a ton of better films to see, but if you're going to see this, check the expectations a bit and it can still be a fun film. Also remember you're not a kid anymore, and even the earlier ones are unlikely to have the same impact you imagine they once did.

May 23, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are always a ton of better films to see, but if you're going to see this, check the expectations a bit and it can still be a fun film. Also remember you're not a kid anymore, and even the earlier ones are unlikely to have the same impact you imagine they once did.

I watched the original trilogy over the last week, to get in the mood. I still think "Raiders" is a magnificent movie, up there with the best ever made. But I was surprised at how the other two seemed kind of blah to me after not seeing them in several years. I saw Last Crusade in the theater when I was young, and totally loved it. This time I noticed problems; my critical adult mind took over.

So I don't know how much I really *could* have liked the new one. But it is indeed an Indiana Jones movie, and not a bad one.

May 23, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #8 of 69
I saw it. Indiana Jones was in Fox Mulder mode this time around. Definite X-Files feel.

May 23, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #9 of 69
Most critics should be burnt at the stake for forcing their often prejudiced opinions down the publics throat. The best critic is yourself.

Personally i can't wait to see this flick, been cracking the bull whip in the yard and got the popcorn ready ;

May 23, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #10 of 69
Was thinking of starting a thread about the movie myself but you beat me to it. Well, the movie is a big "errrhmm". It didnt get anywhere near exciting. I must have become to serious to appreciate this one. The Russians? OMG. Mutt becoming a monkey? Ahhh, have to say that I had a few laughs too.

May 23, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 69
I want to know how accurate (plausible) the fridge thing is....that was my favorite shot.

May 23, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 69
Saw the movie on Tuesday at RIM's pre-screening. I was quite disappointed actually and I don't know how it got ~80% on rottentomatoes. Lot of people have been saying it's unrealistic, far-fetched, etc. etc. I didn't really have a problem with that part but I did feel like it was mixing genres. Also I found the movie to be quite boring. I found previous ones much more exciting. Maybe it's because i was a kid back then? Not sure.

May 23, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 69
It was alright. I loved watching Harrison back on the big screen as an action star. I loved watching Cate Blanchett, because honestly who doesn't like looking at Cate Blanchett? I thought John Hurt was fantastic, and I couldn't help but imagine Ray Winstone yelling "I AM BEOWULF!" at the Soviets. Spielberg did a great job directing as usual, and yes the color looked beautiful (though the look didn't feel like an Indy movie). My only problem with it is that George Lucas was involved. I mean yeah, Star Wars Original Trilogy was amazing, and American Graffiti wasn't bad, and I'm sure THX 1138 was good, but HOWARD THE DUCK?! Once he made that piece of trash, it was clear that the film gods stripped him of any talents he had except those to ruin the reputation of great franchises.What was he thinking with this story?

May 23, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 69
Well, I really enjoyed it. I give it an A. Better than Temple of Doom to me. My children however thought otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back