Indian Songs recommendations
Feb 27, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 21
I don't know much about Indian music and singers, but I came across Sheila Chandra in a few narada CDs I bought. She's got a really lovely rich voice. Check out her alblum "Roots and Wings."

Feb 28, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 21
If you want songs, some Ballywood stuff (i.e. songs in Indian movies) would seems to be a nice place to start -- not too heavy, and often very danceable. The Rough World Samplers are very well compiled and are very good value of money.

The group Rasa has been giving nice electronic twists to old Sanskrit sacred texts. The voice of the female singer, Kim Waters, is beautiful.

Sheila Chandra is good, but a lot of her stuff can be abstract and experimental. Roots and Wings is one of the more approachable one, as is The Zen Kiss

Feb 28, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 21
Try the music from :-

1] Lagaan - Once Upon A Time In India
2] Anything by A.R Rahman (he's awesome)
3] U.Srinivas on the Mandolin (string)
4] Zakir Hussein on the Tabla (percussion instrument)
5] Ganesh and Kumaresh on the Violin
6] Yesudas or Yesudoss (spelling varies) for a deep divine voice

Heck there's a lot of stuff - PM me and I can give you a list of albums and maybe send you a CD with a nice compilation...

I have a HUGE collection - being Indian
tongue.gif

cheers!

Feb 28, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari

Heck there's a lot of stuff - PM me and I can give you a list of albums and maybe send you a CD with a nice compilation...

I have a HUGE collection - being Indian
tongue.gif

cheers!

hey just PM'd u!!!

Aug 31, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
I would strongly suggest you check out this site :

http://www.waterlilyacoustics.com/

This label puts of ultra high quailty audiophile CDs of Hindustani music.

I have Waterlily's SACD issue of Ustad Ali Akbar Khan's rendition of Hindustani Classical music.. The album is titled 'Indian Architexture', and it is a compilation of music that is very pure, almost spiritual.. A definite must hear if you are even remotely interested in hearing classical music.

Another Indian composer I regard in the highest esteem is 'Illayaraja'. His greatest works are a trio independent albums titled 'How to name it', 'Nothing but wind' and 'India 24 hours'.. Give them a listen. I am sure you won't regret the money spent.

Aug 31, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 21
oldies...don't know if you'll like them..not exactly audiophile grade but if you want some good tunes...

Sangam - Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega
MUKESH - JHOOM JHOOM KE NACHO
MUKESH - LAUT KE AAJA
MUKESH - MERA JOOTA HAI
MUKESH - SAB KUCH SEEKHA NA
MUKESH - SAJAN RE JHOOT
MUKESH - TUM ROOTHI RAHO
Mukesh - Ramaiya Vastavaiya

contemporary:

lagaan soundtrack
that chaiyya chaiyya song (dunno which movie it's from)

couple more I can't remember right off the top of my head..might post later

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari

Ohh! another person here with a large range of classical. I got to see Yesudas live at the beginning of the year when I was over in India. His singing is great but the hall they held it in had no aircon and no good windows either so it was inredibly stuffy and uncomfortable.

One thing I find is there's alot of badly mastered cd's though
frown.gif
Alot of the cd's I've got I find I can't really listen to on my headphone setup as the flaws in the recording really detract from the music.

Back on topic.. Some stuff I quite like and recommend
S.Balachandar on Veena
Lalgudi G Jayaraman on Violin
Maharajapuram Sandhanam - male vocal (one of my favourites)
Sudha Ragunathan - female vocal

some of the spelling there might be out (not often I read/write them in english
tongue.gif
)

Sep 12, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 21
OK let me say this,
The finest singer bar none in Indian Music has been Mohammed Rafi, this man was a genius, everyone else tries to attain the samelevel of greatness that he is held on. He might be more identifiable as the person who sang the intoductory track on GhostWorld ( Jaan Pehchaan Ho)
Another one who deserves special mention for his haunting yet very sonorous and superb voice is K.L Sehghal. This guy was the Mozart of old Indian Songs, simply because of the range he could reproduce without a hint of tremor in his voice. His most famous work was done on the movie "Devdas ( 1950 version) not the new crappy one.

As for female singers, Lata Mangeshkar/ Asha Bhonsle have about 70,000 songs between them and have dominated if not completely monopolised the Female singing section.

Other male singers of note are Manna Dey, Mukesh, Kishore Kumar, etc.
Of the new crop none really are that good.

If you can get your hands on a particular song or maybe the whole album of Mere Mehboob somehow, you will be in heaven.
Also Kati Patang, Mughal-E-Azam etc.

I am a sucker for old film music simply because my father has some 600 LP records which see regular service on his trusty gramophone player complete with the winding handle and horn.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Hey GSferrari din't know you were Indian. Damn, your forum nick sounds anything but indian.

Sep 12, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
Hey GSferrari din't know you were Indian. Damn, your forum nick sounds anything but indian.

If you had taken a moment to look at my profile and my website you would have figured that out a long time back
wink.gif

Listening to Aaja Nachle (Bally Sagoo) with some of my friends and having a BLAST!!
basshead.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 21
Nothing quite beats a good Raga, they are combinations of fixed musical rules and the performers' skill at improvisation..... like a prescribed melody consisting of certain "fixed" material, different for every example, plus the melodic improvisation / embellishments which give the piece its individual character.

I particularly enjoy a morning raga and the sound of sitar, tabla and tampura is hypnotic yet refreshing. My particular favourite is Raga Jogeshwari, a very complex yet moving raga with truckloads of emotion.

Ravi Shankar is a good starting point(much the same as Bob Marley is to reggae, popular but far from the best)

Mike.

Sep 13, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd

Ravi Shankar is a good starting point(much the same as Bob Marley is to reggae, popular but far from the best)

Mike.

Hate to spoil the fun for you but Ravi Shankar is an overrated player really. He became famous cos' he knew one of the beatles guys and got into fusion cos' he was not doing too well at Indian Classical performances.
He is rather uptight too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back