Indestructible Closed Cans ($100-200)
Oct 6, 2009 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

leichnitz

100+ Head-Fier
I want to buy a set of full sized headphones for my daughter. She likes the sound of my Grados but wants closed cans for the bus ride to/from school. She also likes my Shure 840s, but worries that they seem a little large.

Also, while the 840s are sturdy, they might prove less than indestructible for a careless 8th grader. So while she wants and appreciates good sound, she wants to be able to throw them in her huge book bag (more like a Marine duffel with wheels) where they will get banged around, and have them survive year in and year out.

In reading this board, many describe the Senn HD-25 II DJ as great sound and really super sturdy. I tried to grab these for $100 for her a few weeks back, but the sale expired before I could.

Is the Senn HD25 II the most indestructible set of cans out there in this price range (with good sound) or is there something else I should look at?

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 36
Try the Senn HS25SP instead. It's the lesser brother of the HD25-1 II, but built the same way. Yes, it doesn't sound as good, but something that sounds as good as the HD25-1 II really shouldn't be stuffed in an 8th grader's bookbag on a daily basis. They retail for $129 and street for more like $100.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 36
+1 on the GMP 8.35D. They put the DT770 to shame in that respect. Though personally I think they're kinda ugly :p

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D

Sturdy, yes. But unfortunately, these are complete unsuitable for portable use becuase of their very heavy and bulky cable. Especially for an 8th grader. I say HD25-1 II are hard to beat for portability + great sound + durability in this price range.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 36
Even the hd-25-1 (or sp) will look bulky on an 8th grader.

Buses are loud environments (especially public school buses) - trying to fight that (even with something like the hd-25-1) is not a good idea.

Give the kid a book instead.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 36
Stick with IEMs and a good book
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even the hd-25-1 (or sp) will look bulky on an 8th grader.

Buses are loud environments (especially public school buses) - trying to fight that (even with something like the hd-25-1) is not a good idea.

Give the kid a book instead.

I think she likes the bulky look. Also, it is a private (not public) school bus, so they all sit politely and quietly. Finally, as to the book suggestion, she sips vodka out of her thermos to unwind on the way home from school, and it is easier to listen to music than read with a good buzz on.

Kb1gra - thanks for the suggestion, I will look into this cheaper alternative

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by leichnitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think she likes the bulky look. Also, it is a private (not public) school bus, so they all sit politely and quietly. Finally, as to the book suggestion, she sips vodka out of her thermos to unwind on the way home from school, and it is easier to listen to music than read with a good buzz on.

Kb1gra - thanks for the suggestion, I will look into this cheaper alternative

Wait, did you just say your 8th grade daughter drinks vodka on the bus home from school? Tell me I didn't read that right! Just a tad young to be into alcohol already, no?
ph34r.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #11 of 36
Get something from Koss - they will replace her phones when she destroys them making them the best headphone company for people who are tough on equipment. The PortaPro are a good pair to look at, as are the clip on KSC75.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, did you just say your 8th grade daughter drinks vodka on the bus home from school? Tell me I didn't read that right! Just a tad young to be into alcohol already, no?
ph34r.gif

It was a tongue in cheek reaction to the silly suggestion that I should make her keep making her listening to her crappy apple earbuds because she should be reading a book on the bus instead of listening to music.

She finished her first Harry Potter in first grade. I think she is OK in the reading department.

(Although I agree with his suggestion that you have to be careful on volume, but I will say she is a lot more careful about not playing music too loud than I was at her age.)

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 36
What about the HD280 Pros? Those are pretty cheap, have good sound quality, and excellent noise isolation. They're "big", but also fit nicely on a small head (better than they do on large heads).

Not as good sound quality-wise as the HD-25, but eons better than the Apple Earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back