Independent Vinyl - Photography Project
Mar 10, 2008 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

robbmcaulay

Head-Fier
[size=xx-small]Hello Head-fi! I wasn't sure if i'm allowed to talk about non-TTVJ stuff in here so if not, I apoligise Todd and could someone please move this to the lounge? I'm just trying to get the right audience here.[/size]

So... i'm a photography student studying in Edinburgh and for my next project I plan to create a series of portraits of independent record store owners outside their shop, mainly to serve as a record of these shops in light of the increasing pressures they face thanks to larger record shops (who, interestingly enough, are also biting the bullet, Tower Records NYC or example. This just makes me feel like my project is more worthwhile and also, a little overdue).

[size=xx-small]As a starting point I plan to focus my efforts on shops in Scotland that revolve mainly around the selling, buying and trading of vinyl.[/size]

I plan to present the medium-format photographs in a 12"x12" book format accompanied by a short informal text, followed by a few detail shots of the shop's interior. I plan to have an extensive list of questions for the shops owners to answer (or skip) as they see fit, in areas such as music, business and...

...this is what this is what I really need head-fi's advice regarding. What sort of text would you expect to see in such a book? I'm no writer, this is primarily a photography project but I feel some sort of interview with the various owners would really take the book to the next level.

Any input and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Robb.

[size=xx-small]If anyone is interested in seeing my work I have a photoblog at robbmc.com[/size]

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 3
I've found that most record shop owners have plenty to say, especially when it comes to the state of their business. If your goal is to show their struggle against this digital instant pleasure age, just ask them to open up on that subject.

Also interesting could be their favorite rare treasures from the store, stories of regular customers, famous customers, etc. Since you're focusing on the people who own the shops, just keep it personal.

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 3
Nice work in your photoblog!

I'd ask the owners how they got into the business and how they remember record stores were when they were younger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back