indecision sucks, i need help.
Aug 18, 2004 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

phkd

100+ Head-Fier
I want to get a new pair of headphones but there is so much out there and i keep finding more and more options. first i was going to get grado 225's, then i found out about the allesandro ms-2's and decided on those. then i got ety ER4S's and returned them after realizing the in-ear thing was not for me. then i looked into those stax e-static systems, and realized the only ones i could afford weren't worth getting. then i started hearing a lot of good things about the senn 580s and the beyer DT880s. as you may be able to tell im trying to not spend more than $350. this would be so much easier if there was a good headphone store around where i could try all this **** out (is there anything like that? around massachusetts?).

well what do you guys think? best open air's for under $350? (if it helps, i listen to rock/rap/electronic music through my chaintech soundcard or rio discman. i will get an amp after i get some new headphones. one chaotic decision at a time).

thank you thank you thank you
-aj

Aug 18, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 7
Did you, or did you not like the MS-2's?

Aug 19, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 7
Since you are planning to get an amp (hopefully a real good one),try get the HD650. Considered the top affordable dynamic circumaural at the moment. Some think they're great for rock, some don't. I myself use dt880s, I do like them for rock, but they don't have the deafening impact of grados.

Aug 19, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 7
The first thing to do is to figure out exactly what you want, then evaluate where and how well your current system meets your goals. After that you do research on how well prospective systems will meet your goals, and decide where you want to go from there.

For instance, what do you like about your current system? What don't you like about it? Do you want more detail, more bass, more warmness, and which one is the most important to you? One you figure out what you like & don't like and what kind of sound you want, then you do some reading & research on head-fi (hint, there's a handy reviews section) and ask questions when you need things clarified.

Without a clear goal in mind (ie. I want more detail) the best we can do is throw headphone models at you which will just confuse you even more and it won't help much if at all.

Aug 19, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 7
Where in Mass are you? There are some places in Boston (Spearit Sound on Comm Ave comes to mind), and I'm sure there are places in other cities as well. If there's really noplace for you to go, take advantage of one of the Head-Fi supporter's 30-day return period. And like aerius said, the first step is deciding where you want to go with your system.

Aug 19, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 7
Mega: Im in the lowell area, but next time i go to boston i will remember to stop in to that place you mentioned. Yea, i took advantage of todd's 30 day with the ety's, but i don't want to abuse it, you know? i don't think he wants to be running a rental store.

aerius: thanks for the step in the right direction. i will evaluate my system and find out what i want from it.

MD: I never got a chance to listen thru the MS-2's.

well I may or may not post for help on this purchase again. hopefully i can make my own decision haha. for now me and my unamped SR60's will keep chuggin along.
thanks, -AJ

PS If the human-depicting avatars in this place were self-portraits there would be a lot of pretty girls here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back