Incredibly new
May 4, 2003 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kayizm

New Head-Fier
Listen you've gotta bear with me on this MP3 thing, ive been trying to do searches on the subject but i can find any. The questions i have is, I notice the IMP-400 is a MP3/CD player, with this style of player, how do i get the files(songs) onto the player. (dont laugh). When i would regulary burn cd's for my regular cd i would get probably 18 songs max, with the imp, is it the same process of burning songs to a cd-r, then placing the cd in the player? How can i get a lot of songs on the cd if the cd only holds 700MB? They say that these players allow you to play much more files than the normal cd player, well how exactly does this work?

Fill me in

I'm Lost

May 4, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 7
May 4, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 7
I had the IMP-400, and players from iRiver have one unique touch that I haven't seen on other MP3/CD players, the ability to use UDF discs. I'll get to that.

You will need a PC with a CD burner, which is able to write CD-RW as well as CD-R and also appropriate burning software.

The procedure is:

1. Take original audio CD.
2. Stick it into your PC and compress to MP3 using Musicmatch, CDEX, etc. You're compressing audio in MP3... So it occupies less space as far as data is concerned. You have to use a MP3 reader to read back this data. Normal CD audio is uncompressed.
3. Now format a CD-RW disc on your PC in UDF format. You'd use InCD (with Nero), and I believe similar software ships with Easy CD Creator and so forth. Basically, this formatting allows you to use a CD-RW like a giant floppy disc, which you can read/write/erase freely from Windows and not through special burning software.
4. Once you've formatted the UDF CD-RW, navigate to where you've stored the compressed MP3 files. Drag those files or folders over to the UDF-formatted CD-RW using Windows Explorer or whatever you're familiar with. Wait for the burn to take place and eject the CD-RW disc.
5. Stick in IMP and press play.

That's more or less it.

May 4, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Ok i think i got it but, I already have like 50GB of music files that ive either placed on my hard drive with Musicmatch or RealPlayer, can i used regular cd-r disks insted of CD-RW disks? is there a advantage of using a CD-RW over a CD-R? Is this formatting a mandatory process? and since i will be getting the IMP-400, how will i know how much data i can put on a disk? I have a Plextor burner with the Nero software. Still a bit confused
frown.gif

May 4, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 7
I don't like being PM'd unless I'm selling something or your're selling something
biggrin.gif

It seems you need more instruction in using your computer for CD creation in general. I think it might be a good idea to visit a computer forum first or ask in Member's Lounge about using your computer's CD burner, what the different media are, how to use your burning software, etc.

As far as the IMP is concerned, it's a simple matter of putting in the CD that you've burned and playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back