Increasing the size of SR-007 Headpads (elastics) and bending the arcs
Apr 12, 2016 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

oogabooga

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone replaced the fabric headband on their SR-007 with something longer? The stock headband is too tight/short for my large head, such that it pulls the ear cups up so they are tugging on my earlobes, and the clamping force is uncomfortable. (On a related note, do you bend your arcs?)

The elastic is 2 cm wide, and 25.5 cm long (stretching to 42.5 cm). I don't know what I'll find in the nearby craft store, but I'm thinking that I'll want to aim for the same expansion ratio (66%) but start with, say, 28-29 cm.

The ends of the elastic go through a slot in the plastic mounts, and appear to be glued or melted into the mount as in the attached pic. Any thoughts on how to remove the elastic without damaging either it or the mount?  My guess is anything stronger than methanol will wreck either or both. 
Otherwise, I was thinking of gluing some plastic to the ends of the new fabric and screwing that directly into the frame so I don't destroy the original elastic. 

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 9
Mine looks different! I am able to remove the elastic after unscrew the screws!

I know I'm not helping but please don't report me!

My best guess is to use wire cutter to remove the thing in the middle!

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 9
Maybe the design is different now.  I have an early model and can also pull the elastic out. It is held in place by some teethlike protrusions which bite into the elastic when the small cover is screwed on.  

As regards bending the arcs, of course I do.  I had the opposite problem, the phones were too loose. so I bent the arcs to get the most comfortable fit and best seal.  Mine have hung on for many years so there is no problem.

Otherwise I can only recommend damping these phones with sorbothane.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/damping-mechanical-energy-distortion-of-stax-and-other-phones-with-sorbothane-and-other-materials

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 9
Is it just me or all the pictures are dead? It seems like the head fi's server has crashed.

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 9
So it turns out that I *can* remove the elastic from the plastic pieces, just that it required more force than I had initially been willing to apply. I think the elastic had 'set' in place over many years. Thanks cdmx123 and edstrelow - I wouldn't have tried to remove it if it wasn't for your comments.

I bought some stretchier elastic, cut 25 cm, flamed the ends to melt them, and installed it. This elastic easily goes to ~55 cm, and so while I still have a good clamping force it's less painful.

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 9
  So it turns out that I *can* remove the elastic from the plastic pieces, just that it required more force than I had initially been willing to apply. I think the elastic had 'set' in place over many years. Thanks cdmx123 and edstrelow - I wouldn't have tried to remove it if it wasn't for your comments.

I bought some stretchier elastic, cut 25 cm, flamed the ends to melt them, and installed it. This elastic easily goes to ~55 cm, and so while I still have a good clamping force it's less painful.

Sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back