Increase the isolation of your IE8
Feb 11, 2010 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Onza

100+ Head-Fier
This mod isn't for everyone, if you're happy with the isolation on your IE8s then you probably dont need to read this.

Even with a good seal the IE8s don't isolate well due to the sound leakage from the bass tuner dial. If you cover this port you'll find that isolation is very greatly increased. The only problem with this is that covering this may minimise the quantity of the bass.

I normally listen to my IE8s at the minimum bass dial and occasionally at the middle (3rd notch setting). I found that if I turned the bass screw up to the 3rd notch and then seal with the bass port - with a bit of tape you are able to get great isolation with good bass response.

Regarding the overall sound (set on the 3rd dial and sealed), I don't find the soundstage to be at all lessened - if anything its even more engaging as the isolation is increased. I think the airiness of the sound is somewhat less, but I guess thats only to be expected as ambient outside sounds are now blocked out.

With the dial set and taped on the minimum dial setting, the sound becomes much thinner (although not un-enjoyable) and loses the warmness of the senn signature... The sound becomes dry, although not to the level of the Etymotic signature..

I only just set this up on my IE8s and am happy with the sound signature, at least at the moment. I'll see how these do me over the next few days and report back. Can others give this a try and let me know of their experiences...

All these impressions are based on my IE8s connected directly to my iPhone 3GS

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 3
That is interesting, and I noticed the same concerning noise isolation.
However, I do not see how turning the bass knob could affect bass after it has been covered, since the hole vent is blocked.
Anyway, I will give it a try and then report back
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back