Incomplete Silence With Westone UM-2s -- What About You?
Mar 10, 2005 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bLue_oNioN

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I have noticed that when I have my UM-2s on (but unplugged) I can hear a high-pitched whine through the silence. It would appear that I have tinnitus, but this is something that does not happen with any of my other IEMs. I am also sure I do not have on hand a defective pair either, because at least four seperate UM-2s have passed through my hands at one point in time. Interestingly enough, the problem is especially apparent only with the Comply tips -- when used in conjunction with the Shure yellow foamies, all is fine. I am wondering if perhaps the UM-2s isolate so much that in-ear noise is magnified? Any thoughts on this?

Mar 10, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 8
Must just be doing something strange to your ears with that certain tip. How loud is it?

Mar 10, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 8
You're not getting a proper seal. I wouldn't call it high pitched, it's rather a midrange-pitched "ringing" sound. It's the air pressure between your ear canals and the UM2s and it's creating a vacuum effect.

What sort of sensation are you feeling? Does it feel like you're in a train tunnel or on an airplane?

You need to pull down on your ear lobes and pull up the tops of your ears to correct the pressure. You need to do this after inserting the tips since the tips tend to expand in your ear. You only need to do it once, as the very fine air movement inside the canalphone's driver unit tends to equalise the pressure so it doesn't build up. It wouldn't hurt to do this every couple of hours to be absolutely sure that you don't have any pressure.

Mar 10, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 8
mm I don't think it's a problem with pressure, because I just broke the seal with some pulling, and as soon as the seal reforms, the ringing comes back. It's more sort of a ringing in the middle of my head. I feel all right, there is no pressurization; the only pressure i feel is the Comply tip pushing against the sides of my ear.

Mar 10, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 8
It doesn't seem like tinnitus because you would notice that in a quiet room or at night. Also pressure in the ear canal can actually relieve tinnitus and I haven't heard of it making it worse.

Mar 10, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
It doesn't seem like tinnitus because you would notice that in a quiet room or at night. Also pressure in the ear canal can actually relieve tinnitus and I haven't heard of it making it worse.

Yah, I don't hear any ringing right now whatsoever -- it's really only when I use the Comply tips that this happens. I really want it to stop
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sottilde
Must just be doing something strange to your ears with that certain tip. How loud is it?

The ringing is very, very loud, loud enough to drive you crazy.

Mar 11, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 8
i experience no ringing with the comply tips. sorry. Maybe you just have to stick with different tips. The isolatoin causing magnification sounds possible; I can't think of any other cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back